From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 08:20:36 -0600

As I have never suffered from hives I am giving my answer from the outlook
of my 3 yr old.  We also have the same laws in Canada regarding immunization
prior to kindergarten/grade 1.  My son has shown diarrhea/vomiting on
INGESTION of gluten so I do not know what he would react like after a shot
that MAY CONTAIN GLUTEN.  In my mind I would rather protect my son against
the communicable diseases that could debilate him and go ahead and give him
the shot.  He may suffer somewhat since it is a needle and not ingested but
he has even less chance of catching the "diseases" after the shot.  He had
his 18 mth DPT shot just after being diagnosed at 20 mths (we were running
late on shots since he had been so sick, they didn't want to immunize him
until we found out what was wrong).  Anyway he had just started the GF diet
and his gut was not recovered.  The health nurse said the shot was GF and
the polio liquid (SABIN) was GF as well.  He did not show any outward signs
of reaction.

Anyone else out there that has experienced this situation is welcome to
comment as I would be interested in reactions/recovery of the children
getting the shot.

Anyone in Canada research the needle to find out if it is GF.  I took the
health nurses word for it as I had not gotten any info on GF diets and just
knew to ask if there was gluten in products.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada