From:
Lisa Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:41:47 -0400

Thank-you to the 21 people who responded to my
question regarding the gf status of sushi.  This is my
first summary so I hope I get everything!

Almost everyone reminded me that Soy Sauce is not GF.
The most common recommendation was to use San-J Tamari
soy sauce which I do, and is GF.

9-10 people pointed out that the fake crab meat in
California rolls is not GF.  It uses a starch binder
that usually contains wheat.  I found this very
surprising for some reason.  I guess that means no
more California rolls for me!  It's interesting b/c I
haven't had a reaction to eating them and usually I
have a really bad reaction when I injest gluten.

A couple people said that the seaweed wraps are
sometimes soaked in soy sauce.  I will have the ask
the chef at my sushi place if they do this.

Two people questioned the gf status of wasabi.

Someone pointed out that the eel is marinated in
teriaki sauce which is not gf.

It was also pointed out that some restaurents add
vinegar to the rice although one person said that it
was probably rice vinegar (I will double check).

Finally, two people were concerned about people eating
sushi at all in regards to the use of raw fish.

My personal conclusion is that if I make sure that
they don't soak the seaweed in soy sauce and only add
rice vinegar to the rice, my avacado rolls are fine,
as would be tuna and salmon rolls.

Thanks again,
Lisa