From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:00:07 -0500

Had dinner tonight with a friend who is a well respected Science
Professor here in NYC.  I told him about the controversy ranging around
vinegar and the distillation process and some of the comments made esp
the ones saying that we are have an allergic reaction to vinegar, not a
gluten reaction [in my case, I know my reaction is a gluten reaction,
not an "allergic" one which is entirely different.

He said that THEORETICALLy, distillation should remove all gluten, BUT,
in the distillation process, when the liquid is turned to steam, some of
the molecules bond together and all the gluten would not then be
removed.  He said that altho the theoretical version would be lovely, in
the real world it doesn't happen.

So, those of us who do react to vinegar....we are not nuts and we are
not having an allergic reaction, after all...

Ann