Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 19:44:10 +0200

Dear List,

From the emails it received it looks like I should've made myself more
clear. What I meant is that I have celiac as well as multiple
food/inhalent allergies and have been using neutralization  therapy as
an allergy treatment, not as a treatment for celiac.

Is there anyone else out there with celiac who has tried this therapy
and has it worked for you?

While getting this done at a clinic I met a lot of people who had had
great success in treating their allergies, some of whom are tough cases
like me who seem to be allergic to most everything.  But, I met only one
person who had celiac and would really like to have some more
information.

The full name for this therapy is intradermal provocative skin testing
and neutralization. In this treatment extracts of allergens are injected
one at a time just below the skin. If a person is allergic to a given
substance a red mark will form. Several more injections are given at
increasingly lower concentrations of the allergen until a dose is found
at which a mark no longer forms, meaning that there is no reaction. This
dose is called the neutralization dose. An injection of the allergen at
a lower concentration than the neutralization dose will make the
reaction come back. A bottle is prepared containing a mixture of the
allergens for which neutralization doses were found and the patient
injects a small amount of this mixture every other day or every day. The
idea is that each day you get neutralized to the allergens and will be
able to tolerate them, though maybe not immediately.

This type of testing is much more sensitive than skin prick testing,
which is not very reliable and not very good at picking up food
allergies.

For more information have a look at the website of the American Academy
of Environmental Medicine, they explain it much better than I could.
http://www.aaem.com I have no financial or other affiliation with this
organization. Their website has a searchable directory of their 400 or
so members. I managed to find a good doctor this way, unfortunately he's
in England and I've only been able to get over there twice.

I hope this isn't too far off-topic.

Daniel Winters
Warsaw, Poland