From:
"Robert F. Eyerman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 10:58:11 -0500

Dear Listmembers, I am lactose intolerant.  I just put on my apron and was
going to make some of Dietary Specialty's blueberry muffins from the mix.

I thought that I had looked over the ingredients thoroughly.  On the bottom
of the list is sodium stearoyl lactylate.  I called them and the rep.
stated that the ingredient "Has nothing to do with lactose."  I am
skeptical as my dictionary states: lactyl- a bivalent radical of which
lactic acid is the hydroxide.  I am assuming that t his ingredient does
contain lactose as I know that lactic acid is a form of milk product.  Does
anyone have any knowledge of this ingredient?  Thanks.  Karen from Central
NY, USA  P.S. Also, is there any Web Site for celiacs that are lactose
intolerant so I can obtain more knowledge of these ingredients?