From:
Betty Parks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betty Parks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:03:47 -0500

I know I've seen constipation as a ongoing problem many times on this list. I've delt with it all my life and going GF seemed to make it worse instead of better. Metamucel was a part of my daily life, 3 X a day. It gets expensive. I've also had problems with muscle cramps, sometimes worse, sometimes better. A few months ago the muscle cramps became very bad. It was hard to even hit the break on my car without my foot muscle cramping up. I'm taking many supplements and have had my nutrient  levels checked on a regular basis. Even though I take 1800 of calcium with vitamin D and magnesium, my calcium still comes up low every few times it's tested. When the cramps increased I called my doctor who has been working the nutrition problems and he prescibed 20MEQ postasium with 500mg Magnesium 2 x a day. This took care of the cramping problem. To my surprise though is that it has also taken care of the constipation problem. I havn't had to take the Metamucell since I started taking the Potasium and magnesium. This tells me the constipation problem was an electrolyte imbalance. What really surprised me was that when my doctor checked my potasium levels after my taking it for a couple of months, my levels where just slightly higher than prior to taking it. I've also started to add Gatoraid to my diet and it has helped even more. Something people with constipation problems may want to check out since intestinal problems is a known ause for electrolyte imbalance.