From:
"J. Matzner" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Matzner
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:29:49 -0500

Thank you to everybody who responded to me--I appreciated hearing
everyone's perspective.    I would like to clarify that I asked everyone
that felt as I do to write Oprah and ask that she no longer carry the
Satellite Sisters in her magazine.  Many people asked me to summarize what
people's comments were so here they are:

Wow, what a great letter

I wonder what these "sisters" would say about me who can't eat or drink and
lives on TPN?

Great letter! I hope she listens.

One woman wrote a very moving email about her situation and how CD has
impacted her life and that of another family member.  I don't want to say
too much about it other than I feel grateful that she shared her story with me.

very well said - thank you.  Take care and thanks again for your
well-thought-out email.

Thanks for your sharing of your letter. I also wrote one, but I think
you probably encompassed all I said, with much, much more. One, day,
maybe if we are truly lucky, we'll have a non-discriminatory world.

Indeed, one of the other lists I belong to is a group of parents forced to
disrupt adoptive children that were too damaged to make it in a family. I'd
like to see the Satellite Sisters walk in my celiac/adoptive
parent/disrupted adoption shoes. Gifts of clothing and size 7 shoes? How
about some respite care and gluten free desserts?

a note...while I understand what you're saying and why....your letter will
never
get read. It's way too long and just too many "I's" in it. It will get a
glance
[if that].

Oh, please reconsider ... the Satellite sisters have personally responded
with sincere apologies to the many letters they received criticizing their
insensitive remarks about GF. They state that they didn't know anything
about celiac disease, are glad they are now being educated and see the need
to educate others. They are now considering doing a show on CD - which will
benefit all of us. They asked for resources to learn about it all.
Perhaps some good will come about from all this - more good than harm from
their remark.
A lesson for us all is that "you catch more flies with honey than with
vinegar."

I will not write anyone to ask that the Sattelite Sisters be fired. I've
enjoyed their show on National Public Radio for some time now. They were
very apologetic when they realized that their comments offended a group and
offered to educate the public by adding celiac disease to their list of show
topics. And frankly, I, for one, was not offended by their comments. They
did not know what gluten was or why anyone would be on a gluten-free diet and
their comments were not aimed at children. The truth is that gluten sounds
funny (until you have CD) and they were using it as comedy, not to be
malicious to any group. I have no problem educating them on the subject, but
isn't it a little uncharitable to think they need to be fired for attempting
to make people smile?