From:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 14:36:19 -0500

There have been a lot of posts over the past several months about eating GF
when you are hospitalized.  One person cited a positive experience.  But,
many have had a difficult time getting GF food in the hospital.  I have had
(not right now but in the past) experience working in hospital human
resource management and thought I would pass along my experience with how a
hospital kitchen can be managed.  Understanding this may help folks when
they are in the hospital.  Sorry this is a little long, but hospital
kitchens are complicated.

First, I would like to address visitors (not patients) requesting GF foods.
It would really surprise me if these requests can be accommodated.  You
should ask for GF food in the hospital cafeteria.  It is so much more
convenient to grab a quick meal there than to go out or to go home for your
meals when a loved one is hospitalized.  So, if they can provided GF meals
in the cafeteria, great.  But in my experience, the real function of the
hospital kitchen is to provide patient meals.  They provide the cafeteria
for the convenience of the families, visitors & staff but little time and
attention is devoted to this area.  Like I said some hospitals may be able
to accommodate a GF diet for a visitor but many just do not have the staff
or the expertise assigned to cafeteria operations to handle this.

Second, I would like to address patient need for GF foods.  The hospital
absolutely should be able to accommodate this.  It may be difficult and you
many need to work with the staff to assure that your meals are GF.  But,
the hospital should be attending to the patients overall health, not just
the illness or injury you were admitted for.  So, just as a diabetic with a
broken leg should expect and receive sugar free meals during a hospital
stay, a celiac should expect and receive GF meals.

The hospital kitchen is broken down into many parts.  All of these parts
work to provide your meal.  So, if there is a breakdown in communicating
the meaning of GF in just one of these areas you could be in trouble.

- The first group is the dietitians.  They work with you (the patient) to
assure your dietary needs are met.  It is most critical that your dietitian
and all of the dietitians that work with him/her understands your need for
GF meals and what GF means.  I say all because even a 12-hour shift may not
cover the preparation of all of your meals in a day and on a day off there
will be another dietitian covering.  So, make sure you know who all the
players are.  If this is not an emergency, you may want to meet with the
dietician before your stay.

- The next group is the chef and cooks.  The dietitians work with the chef
on meal planning to assure general nutritional needs are met and special
dietary requirements are also met.  The chef develops the menus, orders the
foods and supervises the cooks.  The cooks actually prepare your GF meal.
You have no direct communication here.  But, you can suggest that the
dietitian speak to the chef and all the cooks the explain the importance of
keeping your meals GF.

- Once prepared, the meals are put on trays and taken to the floor to be
delivered.  The food staff who delivers your meal are not the dietitians
who you spoke with about GF foods.  They are not the chef who developed
your GF menu and they are not the cooks who prepared your GF meal.  This is
someone new.  The first time they deliver your meal, mention the special
diet to them and how important it is for you to receive your GF meal.  This
may not have been explained to them in the kitchen.  I would also make sure
that my nurse or nurses aide, knew about my special meal and was on the
look out when the trays arrive to remind the person delivery the meals
about my special diet.  Again, because of shift changes and days off, the
person who delivers breakfast may not be the same person who delivers
dinner.  Talk to everyone.

Most people in the hospital kitchen care about patients and want to assure
that your dietary needs are met.  Ask nicely; explain to everyone in the
loop about your special needs.  I think most hospital personnel will really
try hard to accommodate you.

Francie Kelley
Austin, TX