From:
beth kassis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
beth kassis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:09:01 -0800

Hi All,

  I just wanted to share the total success that my daughter and I had this Christmas making GF Tiramisu.

  My 12 year old celiac daughter Allison loves to watch "Martha" cook on TV.  Martha had a guest a couple of weeks ago that made wonderful Tiramisu.  Allison and I decided to take on the challenge, and ordered GF Schar "Savoiardi" lady fingers from GF Trading Company, and what a success!  Everyone raved at how yummy it was.  This was better than ANY tiramisu we have ever had at a restaurant.

  I did a little research on www.allrecipes.com and combined 3 different recipes to come up with one that was just right, so I am sharing it below:

  INGREDIENTS NEEDED

  2 Packages Schar Savoiardi Biscotti
  6 egg yolks
  3/4 cup white sugar
  2/3 cup milk
  2 cups heavy whipping cream (add 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar to sweeten)
  1 Tablespoon vanilla
  1 lb. mascarpone cheese
  2 cups strong brewed coffee
  1/4 cup rum (or kahlua)
  2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

  DIRECTIONS

  In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended.  Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.  Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.  Cover tightly and refrigerate for about an hour.

  Once the mixture is cool, whisk softened mascarpone cheese into the yolk mixture and blend well.

  In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff.  About half way through the whipping, add a couple of Tablespoons of powdered sugar to sweeten it slightly.

  In another small bowl, combine 2 cups coffee, 1 Tablespoon vanilla and 1/4 cup rum and mix together.

  Now you are ready to assemble the Tiramisu.

  Use one package of Savoiardi lady fingers for the bottom layer.  Dip each one in the coffee mixture  (for about 5 or 6 seconds) and lay in a 9 x 13 dish until the bottom is covered.  This will take exactly one package.
  Then, spread half of the yolk/mascarpone mixture for the next layer.  On top of that, spread half of the whipped cream.  Dust this layer with cocoa powder.
  Next, repeat the same steps again using the second package of Savoiardi lady fingers dipped in coffee mixture, mascarpone mixture, whipped cream and finally a dusting of cocoa powder.

  Make this at least 24 hours in advance and keep in the refrigerator.  It really tastes better after it has had a chance to soak in for at least a day or two.

  This was a beautiful, Impressive and yummy dessert.  It serves about 12.

  Happy New Year,

  Beth Kassis
  El Dorado Hills, CA