From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thorn, Michael
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 10:02:46 -0400

I was attending a wedding reception yesterday at the "New World Home Cooking
Co." in Saugerties, New York.
Since I was unable to eat the wedding cake the staff offered to bring the
regular dessert menu over so that I could choose something else.

The menu never arrived but a tall multi-layer chocolate cake wedge arrived.
I asked about the ingredients and was told that was made of 'access' (not
sure if that is the spelling) flour and tha the chef said that "no one has
an allergy to it".

Obviously my alarm bells go off. I insist on finding out the ingredients and
after some bizarre suggestions by the staff (including kelp and
tofu..honest!.) I am told that it is fine for me to eat because it is made
with spelt. The chef was unable to speak to me due to a kitchen emergency.

I explained, several times, to the staff that spelt is wheat to no avail.
Clearly they don't have a clue.

I would suggesting taking this into consideration if you consider dining at
this trendy restaurant.

Michael Thorn