From:
Chris Futia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 1995 20:30:09 -0500

I'm a relative newcomer to the list, but I've read everything I can get my
hands on about Celiac disease.  At this point I'm becoming more and more
confused about which grains are definitely safe and which are definitely not
safe and what the major arguments are (pro and con) about the others.  Is
there anybody out there who can summarize the current state of thinking
without biasing the information in favor of a particular strand of thinking?

The kind of response I'm looking for would be:

Wheat  --  No disputes, always bad.
Barley
Rye
Corn
Rice  --  No disputes, always good (unless contaminated).
Amaranth
Quinoa
Oats  -- Currently in dispute, recent study indicates may be safe.
Buckwheat
Sorghum
Tapioca
Kamut
(etc.)

I hope this isn't too much to ask ...

Chris in NJ  (mom of 14-month-old Peter, who just gained 6 ounces on a GF
diet and now weighs 14 pounds!!!)