From:
Mary Germann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:54:50 EST

Dear List members,
It is with a heavy heart I tell you this and ask for your advice.  My 11 year
old daughter has always been a sufferer of asthma.  Recently she ended up in
ICU because it was so bad.  An intern on the ward recommended a "sweat test"
be done to determine if she may have cystic fibrosis.  Well, she tested
positive - scoring 100 when the norm is 50.

There is a small possibility that she may have both celiac and CF but that is
even more uncommon than both the diseases.  The symptoms for CF are much like
those of celiac only they include the lung problems (ie asthma).  Needless to
say, we realize now that this was a test that should have been performed
early into the testing when celiac was thought of -- but we are not the
doctors here, are we?

This is not something I've ever spoted on our mailing list, just wanted some
input to see if there was anyone else out there with a similar situation or
what you thought.

Mary, MD