From:
frank bukovac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
frank bukovac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 19:57:32 -0500

I recently posted the following issue: >>>>>>My granddaughter was
recently diagnosed with gluten sensitivity, and it appears that she may
also have dermatitis herpetiformis.  She also has an extreme sensitivity
to metals to the point that she is breaking out in a rash around her
tummy where her bluejeans snap to the point of cracking and bleeding.
My daughter is trying to find alternative clothing for her.  Her ears
also break out when wearing pierced earrings.  Does the metal
sensitivity accompany DH, or is it just a matter of the overall
sensitivities that we tend to have?-----------------

I received 41 responses for which I am most thankful!  This list always
come through.  The majority of responses from those with or without
Celiac and/or DH stated that the metal sensitivity is separate and apart
from the CD or DH.  Most have an allergy to nickel.

Suggestions for dealing with jeans fastened with nickel-containing snaps
or buttons were to 1) coat the fastener with clear nail polish (reapply
after washing), 2) sew fabric or velco over the fastener, 3) use a band
aid or masking tape over the fastener, 4) take zinc tablets to counter
act the nickel, 5) have allergy testing, 6) wear Liz Claiborne or cambia
clothing which do not use nickel in their snaps, 7) avoid acidic foods
(tomatoes, oranges, pineapple, etc.) which appear to make at least one
person more sensitive to metals, 8)  wear a watch with a plastic back
(four recommendations) or use a Swiss Army watch (one recommendation),
9) wear nylon "post protectors" that slip over an earring post to
protect from the metal and use Eucerin cream on the rashes and 10) go to
this other exellent site:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages.

Another helpful post is below (in part):

I am sure that with the gluten free diet she will improve.  I also
advise that she avoid eating foods high in iodine, which are pro DH.
She should avoid having her clothes washed with bleach, which seems to
also activate it.  Use a natural color and additive free detergent on
her clothing.  Use only skin lotions which do not contain wheat
products.  I am sure many people will send you do and don't lists, so
let me not get to carried away.  Make sure you see a good dermatologist
who knows how to  properly diagnose DH; many have never seen it, or
aren't familiar with Celiac disease.

I hope you know that she will be OK, and that just going gluten free
will bring her such relief.  It takes  a while.  It is one year this
week for me and I still have wheat showing up sometimes by accident in
food and other items.  I still suffer sometimes from feeling sorry for
myselt that I can't just go and have a begel and coffee.  In the end, we
learn how to adjust and we feel so much better for it.
One person also recommended jewelry from Simply Whispers which are
guaranteed nickel free.  They also have rights and watches.  They are on
line at simplywhispers.com.

Many people felt that they were less sensitive to nickel after being GF
for some time.

At least five had the same questions and requested a summary.

Many appear to be able to wear 10 to 14 carat gold or silver, but not
costume jewelry.  I did receive some responses that they could not even
wear silver.  One person suggested coating earrings with clear nail
polish.

One person responded saying that her pediatrician said that one nevers
see DH in children.

I had two other responses contrary to the above:
I have Celiac Disease as well as occasional bouts of DH.  I was
diagnosed with CD and DH about 20 years ago at age 30.  From what I
understand it is quite rare, but not unheard of for a child to develope
DH.  I think the Celiac Disease 'sets' one up for a variety of skin
problems, psoriasis is seen often in CD.  I have very allergic skin and
also get something called Atopic Eczema very similar in appearance to DH
and very itchy, the only way dermatologists have been able to determine
which it was is by biopsy, twice it was DH and twice it was the Atopic
Eczema.  I have to keep up a constant vigil of vasoline on my skin after
bathing to keep the Atopic Eczema under control which keeps moisture
locked in the skin and helps to prevent it.

I am not too sensitive to metal but just the pressure of a pair of
slacks around the waist can cause an eruption, all my clothing needs to
be loose fitting.  Because my diet is so good (CD runs in my family and
my aunt recently passed away from small intestine lymphoma; she did not
watch her diet) I pretty much assume the skin eruptions I get now are
the atopic eczema and not DH, I got a little tired of all those chunks
of skin being removed for biopsy!  LOL!

I wish I could be of more help with this.  About the only thing I can
offer up is that skin problems of all kinds, are common with CD, as are
dual allergies.  It is very important also in my opinion to rotate in
the diet the grains she can have such as rice and corn so that she is
not over-exposed to them thus also causing her to react through the
skin.   Altho I did not exhibit any symtoms of CD before age 30, I have
always had extremely sensitive skin and many problems in that area as a
child, rashes were common and would come and go.  My Dr. (dermatologist)
did tell me that people allergic to penicillin which I am, are also more
prone to allergic skin.
If she has DH that's absolute proof she also has celiac. Has anyone told
you yet that if you have DH you are also supposed to avoid iodine. That
means no shell fish, iodized table salt, sea salt, kelp or sea weed. If
you don't avoid that it can make you hypersensitive to all those things.

Two people stated that they developed metal sensitivity after getting
their ears pierced, and my granddaughter does have pierced ears.  One,
who initially wore earring that were not 14 carat, let her ears grow
back together, then had them repierced, and now only wears 14 carat
gold.  She only wears them for limited time periods, but with no
problems.

Another explanation for the increased sensitivity was the following
post:
---------------------------------------
I don't think you have to be a celiac to have sensitivity to certain
metals.  This could be an actual allergy to the steel posts or the snap
in the bluejeans.  However, celiacs do not excrete as well as the
"normal' population and many of us have retained heavy metal toxins
which need to be detoxed, such as mercury, lead, aluminum, copper etc. I
don't know it the breaking out and the toxins collected in the body are
the same syndrome.
I'm also sending this summary to my daughter, and I'm sure that the
suggestions will be most helpful for my granddaughter in dealing with
yet another sensitivity!

Thanks again, Sandra in Texas