From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 20:45:38 -0500

I lived and worked in Asia and when I came home, took many courses in Chinese cooking.  There are several tricks to getting fried springs rolls, tempura etc crispy

First of all when you make the batter or make the rolls ...REFRIGERATE FOR AT LEAST A HALF HOUR...they must be cold when they hit the hot fat.  You can even throw them in the freezer for a half hour

Just before you put them in the hot fat, you need to dust it with cornstarch or some other fine flour.  Knock off the esces and fry.  You will get a wonderful product

A hint for batters...I learned this from tempura...up the baking powder to a tablespoon and use CLUB SODA for the liquid.

Enjoy!