From:
Laura Ginsberg Saum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:51:55 EST

Unfortunately, I only received 2 responses to this question and a lot of
requests from people who wanted me to summarize my findings.  Both people who
responded agreed that gliadin antibodies show short term compliance with the
diet and hence return to normal more quickly.  The endomysial antigens come
down more slowly and show long term compliance.

The good news is that I spoke with my GI (who has worked with many celiac
patients) further about this, and she agreed. She told me that the drastic
reduction in gliadin antibodies shows that I have been allowing very little,
if any, gluten into my diet.  According to her, positive endomysial antigens
essentially indicate that there is damage in the intestine.  Her perspective
is that this indicates whether or not one is a celiac and that the antigens
will take a long time to return to normal (if they ever do).  She said not to
focus on this test as much as the gliadin since most celiacs never have a
normal endomysial level (even if they have normal gliadin levels and are
healthy).  She also said that the fact that my endomysial level reduced by
half in 6 months was very positive, and I should be happy with the results.

I hope this helps some of you out there.

Laura
San Francisco, CA