Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:27:56 -0700

While this recipe also is just empty calories, you may wish to try it.
It's easy, inexpensive and tastes reasonably good the second day even if
not toasted. I'm sure it can be used to produce buns. This recipe appears
to be very close to Bette Hagman's Cornstarch recipe on page 92, "The
Gluten-free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy". I have been using this
recipe for almost a year and it is definitely my favorite. Hope you like
it.        Marvin in Rochester,NY

       Ethel's GF Cornstarch Bread

1-1/4 cups cornstarch, 2-1/2 tbs.  potato starch, 2 tbs.  sugar, 3/4 tsp.
xanthum gum, 1 pkg. yeast
        Whisk together

        1  egg white
Put in a one cup measuring cup and add water(as hot as your hand can
stand) to make a scant cup. Add to the dry ingredients and beat for three
minutes. Let rise for 15 minutes.
        Add:  2-1/2   tbs oil and 3/4 tsp salt
Mix well and put in loaf pan. Let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in
size. Pre heat oven to 450 degrees. Bake  for 25 minutes. I spray the
baking pans with oil before filling and sprinkle sesame seeds on the
surface of the loaf. Let cool before slicing.  I usually make two loaves
at a time. Doubling the amounts of the
ingredients is very convenient.
-----------
I agree, we don't need bread.  I was eating lots of it and had a great
recipe that we adjusted to perfection, but then I went on a diet and
bread just doesn't make sense when you are dieting.  I never used to eat
much bread before the diagnosis anyway.  Diane
-------------
I enjoyed your post, and your solution. My solution still includes bread.
My solution was a bread-maker. It makes a very nice loaf of bread – a two
pounder – so I only make bread every few days. My recipe is almost
entirely whole grain.  I use brown rice flour, and mung dahl flour. I
grind these in my Whisper Mill. (The mung dahl is a bit of a specialty
item, but my local health food store carries it. It is very mild tasting
It is yellow – so it doesn’t have those green husks like regular mung
seeds for sprouting.)  I use 3 ½  cups brown rice/mung dahl mix, and only
½ cup potato starch. I only use xantham gum, because I heard that guar
gum sometimes causes problems for people. I use about I TABL for the 2
–pound loaf.  I can also make the bread entirely whole grain – it is just
a little bit denser.  My husband, who is not GF, eats this bread all the
time. My son, age 9, really likes it – but he was in rebellion against
the rice brad I used to buy at the health food store – “Foods for Life”
was the name, I believe.  Anyway, My son has been GF for 2 years now, and
bread is a a staple of his diet. He likes it for sandwiches and toast. It
takes me about 8 minutes to get it all going…maybe 5 minutes if I
rush…But sometimes I do have to grind the flour (every couple of
batches.)
        The GF diet is more work, definitely. I want him t stay on the
diet…bread and desserts are an important part of that – within reason. I
use stevia in many of my desserts…so it’s pretty healthy stuff.  Mary
Kretzmann
------------------
I can relate.  I almost never have either gf bread or pasta.  Once in a
while I will use bought gf bread for french toast.  You are right--who
needs it? Diane
-----------------
I have to agree. . . I've found baking to be way too much trouble.  I
gained a lot of weight from very refined GF cookies and baked goods
before I realized how bad they were for my blood sugar. Now the only
thing I get is a Food for Life brown rice bread, which makes nice toast
and allows me to have things like PB&J or smoked salmon every once in a
while.  I eat a lot of brown rice pasta because it's convenient, but
otherwise I get my carbs from brown rice, potatoes, corn, veggies, and
other more natural sources.  GF bread tasted nothing like bread, so why
pretend?
----------------
I agree with you.   I'm new to this disease, 5months to be exact, and to
this day I have not tasted any gluten free bread that will compare to the
real bread I once loved. I have spent sooooo much money on loaves of
disgusting, high carb and calorie bread.   I had once bought gluten free
english muffins thinking i could use them as buns, when i decide to check
out the nutrional values, I was horrified to see that one english muffin
contained 500 calories in it!   By the time I put a burger with some
cheese in that, Id probably would have consumed two days worth of
calories.  For now I just stick to meals that do not contain any bread
ingredients.  The gluten free stuff, just does not compare to the real
bread.
--------------
I NEVER baked a bread (or anything else, for that matter) before going on
the GF diet. And I used to have a bakery-fresh bread every evening with
dinner. I now make at least 5 breads a week, my husband only wants to eat
these, though he could have whatever bread he likes... and even neighbors
and friends ask for samples to take home... I swear by Bette Hagman's
bread book (The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread.) I substitute flaxseed
meal for the oil, usually. Our favorite/staple is her Four Bean Bread,
but use many others, too. The bread is good untoasted for a few days, and
then after that I recommend toasting or using a sandwich maker.
Anyway, it is probably healthier to go bread free, but in case you were
secretly missing it I thought I would share. Also, I use the
Williams-Sonoma bread machine for routine use, and the Kitchen Aid when I
have time...
Best of luck, Loretta in Connecticut

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!