Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:37:52 -0500

Dear listservers,
We are spending a week in February at the LIttle Dix Bay resort on Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands.  Our 7-year-old son was diagnosed with CD in October, and we decided to take the plunge, make the reservations, and get the help of the chef there.  The reservationist assured us he'd had experience with the diet, but I e-mailed the chef over a week ago just asking if he'd ever dealt with celiac before and haven't had a reply.  Now we're dubious, and would love to hear if any of you have any experience in this neck of the woods and could help us out:
1.  Have any of you ever been to this resort, and if so, what was your experience?
2. Do you have any knowledge of what kind of staples might be bought on Virgin Gorda or on Tortola?  Or should we bring absolutely everything we think we might need except milk, butter and eggs?
3. Would it be okay to have some bakery goods shipped to the hotel kitchen from mail-order places in the US? (Will they hold up over that distance and shipping time, and in warm temperatures?)
4. Any common-sense tips about how to survive a long day of traveling with a young celiac who is not at all flexible in his eating habits?

Thank you thank you!  Any advice is much appreciated. LC