From:
JAM54GtwyOutlkExp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 23:58:51 -0700

A few days ago I asked you all to check my foods' list for questionable
GF foods - "Questioning foods that were once GF".

I got about 70 answers within 3 days. Thanks to all of you from
Australia, to Wichita, Kansas & Iowa too , from Toronto, Canada to
Florida , from South Carolina to Minneapolis & Chicago .  The following
is my summary for those who wished me to share.  Once again thanks to
ALL!

Below are some of the comments/replies I received after asking which
foods on my list seemed to be a problem for Celiacs :

1. flavored coffees a problem;  would stay away from Maxwellhouse
International Coffees-french vanilla, decaf, sugar-freelike the plague;
Most flavored coffees are not GF.

2. Many many people said to - cut out the corn pops and use something
other than Kraft salad dressing. Kelloggs Corn Pops mentioned many times
as possibly being contaminated.

3. Many packaged pre-shredded cheeses have cellulose(flour) in them to
keep them from sticking together. The latest Kraft GF listing doesn't
include any shredded/grated cheeses. You should buy cheese in blocks and
shred it yourself.  Sargento is okay

4. you have enough chemicals there in the Sweet 'n Low and Equal to make
anyone feel sick. I urge you to get rid of the aspartame...it's poison!

5. Peanut Butter Cups (may have wheat soy in them) , Nutra Sweet & Sweet
n' Low questionable

6. Smuckers just told me a few days ago that all jams and jellies are
gluten free. Lifesavers are all supposed to be gluten free.   Someone
said Smuckers, chocolate fudge sauce is not GF, because they add a
thickener, it really is thicker than Hersheys, but H's is  GF.

7. Corn Pops and the International Coffees may be the problem.  I know
some people have reported having problems w/ them.  Our family eats the
Malt-O-Meal brand of corn pops w/o a problem, but I can't guarantee
they'll work for you.  better luck using Malt O Meal Corn Bursts instead
of Kellogg's Corn Pops. Have given up on cold cereals unless they say
"gluten free"; in other words, if they care enough to vouch for their
quality control.

8. Take a close look at the generic prescription drugs. It would not
matter if the original name brand were GF, the generic could easily have
gluten in the excipient ingredients even though the active ingredient is
the same. Your pharmacist should be able to give you a list of
ingredients from his bulk bottle. Quite a few drugs contain gluten in
the excipients

9. Celiac daughter (age 12)  turned out to have casein intolerance too,
and once we stopped all dairy for  her she was back to 100%...apparently
the  casein protein is similar in structure to the gliadin protein
(gluten), so it's not uncommon for celiacs to be casein intolerant also.

10. The Reese's peanut butter cups should be o.k., unless you are
starting to have problems with peanuts.

11. Reese's peanut butter cups can be problem...Almost all chocolate
covered products may use flour to prevent sticking to machinery or
packaging without being listed as an ingredient.

12.  More specificically on your list I notice aspartame - that is a
really nasty additive.;  Nutrasweet gives my family terrible gastric
distress and migraine headaches!

13.  Called Warner Lambert and they would not guarantee that certs are
GF.

Orville Redenbacher, ACT II (except extreme butter) and Paul Newman's
are ok.  Pop Secret is not.

14. Ingredients for prescriptions, --you can find a listing of active &
inactive ingredients in most drugs at www.rxlist.com At least you can
see if  it includes modified food starch, lactose or some other
suspicous looking ingredient (and then call the manufacturer of the
generic.)  ... spoke w/ the FDA and was told that generics have to meet
the same standards for breaking down & being absorbed that the name
brand drugs do,  and the same starches/sugars are usually used to meet
those qualities.  HOPE this will help somebody.  -- Take care , and
thanks to all for your replies -- Jan from New Bedford, MA