From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 02:24:50 -0700

Dear Listmates,

I'm bringing up this question because I did an archive search regarding
the GF status of Best Foods/Hellman's mayonnaise. I found info in the
archives that conflicted with info people sent me when I posted the
question. I tried calling Best Foods to get an answer but haven't heard
back from them since my call last week. I also did a general search on
Heinz products (ketchup for example) and found archive info that was in
disagreement. I tried to keep my searches within the same year and as
recent as possible but I did run into conflicts. We are encouraged to
search the archives before we ask a question, which is sensible as it keeps
list volume down. However, I am wondering what is the most useful way to
do a search to ensure accurate results. In my line of work (research
scientist) we are required to cite references that are credible and
valid. Is it reasonable to assume that an archival source that provides
info directly gathered from a call to the company that produces a food
item would fit this criteria? What other things make a good reference in
archival material of the sort we collect from our list?

Thanks,
Lissy
ps) I still don't know about the Hellman's mayonnaise!