From:
Doug Hufschmid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:44:57 EST

   I was the one who wrote the letter about "The Problem With The Celiac List."
Unfortunately, no one wrote to me even though my screen name was at the bottom
of my letter which was summarized by someone else.

   I could have written that, "The problem with IBM is that it is commposed of
different types of people," or that, "The problem with Europe, Asia, South
America, or Planet Earth is that they are composed of different types of
people."  Unfortunately, we're not all identical clones, that's why we have so
many problems.

   I guess people also took offense at my statement that those willing and able
to change the status quo would be in the minority.  Again, don't only a
moinority of people vote.  Could the makeup of the celiac list be different
than the makeup of the general population?  Furthermore, don't those who try
to change the status quo receive death threats--let alone nasty letters.  I
hope we can acknowledge our luck if one famous person or one capable doctor
takes up our cause.

   We must not devalue the individual because we have 27000 members.  History
contains more examples of individuals changing society than of the masses
changing society.  Lastly, we wont have many intellectual discussions if we
attack each other--we should attack, or politely disprove statements.  I'm
always happy to learn if one of my statements is incorrect.

Sincerely