From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 20:39:47 GMT

This weekend, I ran out of rice flour and needed to some bread. I elected to
use Ener-G Foods (phone 800 331-5222), Dairy-Free Basic Baking Mix.  These
recipes were developed for our last Celiac Experience in 1994.  Which was a
cruise to Mexico from Florida.  Since there are limited selections that are egg
and lactose free, I am posting them to the list.

I added 1 tsp of Sure-Jel to the initial recipes, which is available from any
grocery store.  The quality of local water and accurate measurements is
critical in these recipes.  The first attempt should not be left unattended or
you may desire to use bottled water. The ingredients of the Basic Mix are:

       Dairy-Free Basic Baking Mix -- Modified Tapioca Starch, Bovine
       Blood Plasma, Gelatin, Powdered Egg White, Xanthan Gum, and
       Ascorbic Acid.

They were made in Welbilt Multi-Logic Bread Machines with Red Star Quick Rise
Yeast.  These bread recipes require a 1 1/2 pound machine.  The settings for
the Welbilt Model ABM150R are:  second kneading 20, second rising 60, the
baking setting is:  32 for a medium crust or 33 for a darker crust.  In a
Welbilt Model 100 or DAK, set baking control at 25%.  This is halfway between
the light and normal position.  Do not use the DAK Turbo Mode.

If you do not have a bread machine, the instructions for converting a bread
machine recipe from Red Star Yeast should work.

Honey Bread
2  tsp. Red Star Quick Rise or Instant Active Dry Yeast
2  cups plus 2 tbs. Ener-G Foods Dairy-Free Basic Baking Mix
1/2  tsp. salt
1 tsp. Sure-Jel
1/4  cup olive oil
2  tbs. honey
1  cup plus 2 tbs. water (85 degrees)

Add the ingredients in the order listed, yeast, mix, salt, oil, honey, and
water.

Honey Bread II  For a larger loaf use this recipe.
2  tsp. Red Star Quick Rise Yeast or Instant Active Dry Yeast
2 1/4  cups Ener-G Foods Dairy-Free Basic Baking Mix
1/2  tsp. salt
1 tsp. Sure-Jel
1/4  cup Olive Oil
1/3  cup honey
1 3/8  cups water (85 degrees)

Add the ingredients to the machine in the order listed.

Black Russian Bread
1 3/4  tsp. Red Star Quick Rise Yeast or Instant Active Dry Yeast
2  cups Ener-G Foods Dairy-Free Basic Baking Mix
1/2  tsp. salt
2  tsp. caraway seeds
1/2  tsp. ground coffee
1  tbs. cocoa powder
1 tsp. Sure-Jel
1/3  cup molasses
1 cup plus 1 tbs. water (85 degrees)

Add the ingredients to the machine in the order listed.

Rye Bread
1 3/4  tsp. Red Star Quick Rise Yeast or Instant Active Dry Yeast
2  cups Ener-G Foods Dairy-Free Basic Baking Mix
1/2  tsp. salt
4  tsp. caraway seeds
2  tsp. ground coffee
1  tsp. orange peel
1 tsp. Sure-Jel
1/3  cup molasses
1 cup plus 1 tbs. water (85 degrees)

Add the ingredients to the machine in the order listed.

----
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask])