From:
Wendy Percival <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:39:34 EST

Dear List,

I just want to share with you my experience at our new Wild Oats store in
Madison, NJ.  First a little info:  the store has been open for 2 months.

They carry some GF items, but could carry more.  None of the employees I have
spoken to even know what gluten is.

I went in for lunch the other day (I am not GF, but am the parent of at least
one celiac, but that's another story).  I was looking in the bakery display
case, waiting for my friend to join me.  The man next to me says hello, and I
notice his Asst. Manager name tag.  I ask him what's GF in the bakery case.

With a bewildered look on his face, he says he doesn't know, but will find
out.  I told him that it was a trick question because none of the items were
GF.  Long story short:  we talked for quite some time about celiac disease,
wheat allergies, food sources, etc.  He bought us lunch, introduced me to his
dept. managers, asked them to look for GF foods, and has asked me to come in
and speak to his employees about GF foods in January.  People are listening!

I will keep you posted.

Happy holidays to all.

Wendy
Chatham, NJ