From:
Kelli Schulenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelli Schulenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:27:15 -0700

I'm sorry this took so long to summarize.  I had a ton of replies to my question, and I waited 'til it seemed I had a response from everyone who wanted to comment.

About 11 people said to avoid carbs at lunch, especially those that are refined.  Protein seems to be the key during mid-day.

9 people said that it could be related to other food allergies.  I know all the other things I'm allergic to (beef, potatoes, carrots), so I avoid those.

1 said poor ventilation in the office.  Could be, but no one else seems to be tired (although I have caught my boss napping after lunch).  One step out into the Wyoming wind seems to refresh many people.

1 said to take a B complex after lunch.

A few have mentioned a.m. caffeine, for those of you who are coffee drinkers.

3 said hypothyroidism.

A couple said it is perfectly normal - look at some of the European countries who get a 2 hour lunch.

1 said a GoLite made by Apollo Health light therapy box to get us through the days of winter.  And that it works very well.

1 said to have a glucose test for diabetes.  Another mentioned hypoglycemia (which I already know I have).

1 other thought perhaps anemia, not enough iron in the diet.

I got a total female blood workup a few weeks ago and the results came back:  Hypothyroidism.  That is what I have.  My numbers were through the roof.  I am now on 50 mcg of Synthroid.  I've been on it less than a week, but my energy levels are awesome!  I feel like a kid again.  I haven't lost any weight (still waiting for that), but my energy level is up.  The most common symptoms of hypothyroidism are intolerance to cold and weight gain/unable to lose weight.  For those of you out there who have this problem, you should be tested - especially women, as hypothyroidism affects more women than men.

Many of the respondents wanted to know what I found out, because they're experiencing the same slump after lunch.  Everyone is different, but you all should get a total blood workup done so you know what your body is up to.

I hope this helps all of you who are seeking to overcome that mid-afternoon crash.

And thanks to all who gave me information.  I'm sorry it took so long to summarize.  I really appreciate all of your responses!

Kelli
Bar Nunn, WY
~~
"A dog a day will keep the doctor away."