From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2015 16:24:08 -0500

Oh well.  We eat out all the time, and it’s always a risk, but I usually call ahead, ask questions and order carefully.  We have our favorite places.  This was my first time at this place, and wasn’t my choice.

Went to an organization event at Femmina Italian Grill in Medford, NJ.  I called the owner weeks ago, and he was very kind and caring.  I called again this morning to confirm.  It was a huge family style meal, but they knew I was having my own chicken and broccoli.  They all knew I was coming. The waitresses acknowledged it.  It was on the contract.

For whatever reason, within a half hour after eating, I started reacting.  Took my Glutenease double-strength, as soon as I got home. Only time will tell. Right now, I’m glad I made it home without getting sick in the car.

The kicker is my husband is having surgery tomorrow, and it would be great if I wasn’t in need of a bathroom all day…or making embarrassing sounds in the waiting room.  Such is life.

But anyone in the area….just be aware. Could have been a fluke, but it still got me sick…and I don’t get sick very often.  Can be years.  Bad luck this time.

For the best gluten-free Italian food, I always go to Pasta Pomodoro in Voorhees, but this was an event from an organization, and I had to attend.

The group is great about going fragrance-free, for my asthma, but the kitchen or someone certainly screwed up my meal.  It could have been the piece of cheese I took from the big antipasto.  Could have been cut on a contaminated board or stacked with contaminated tongs or gloves.  I’ll never know, and never go back.  The antipasto looked harmless enough, but it was just stuff I don’t normally eat, so all I grabbed was a tiny piece of cheese.

Grrr.