From:
Barbara Malmin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 20:58:00 -0800

Our family has relied on this list for the past three
months.  Thank you for being there it really has made
life less complicated.  In August my just barely
l8-year-old son was diagnosed with type one diabetes.
In October just one month after starting college he
had symptoms of celiac disease.  We have since
discovered our daughter who is 20 and has been sick
for the last year is also celiac.  It's been quite a
year; both kids in the hospital, lots of Dr's and
incorrect diagnoses.  Thanks to this list we are
finding supportive and imformed medical advice and
foods we can all live with.  My son is a musician and
has been chosen by the National Foundation for
Advancement in the Arts for the NFAA/IAJE Clifford
Brown/Stan Getz Fellowship.  He will travel from
California to Miami and then on to New Orleans
(Hyatt)on tues Jan. ll - l6.  In New Orleans he will
be on his own for meals, I remember some time back
someone wrote in about attending this same event in
New Orleans.  I know I'm waiting for the last minute,
but if you get this message maybe you and Andy could
get together if only for mutual support.  I haven't
written in yet because I have been absorbing
information, trying to educate myself, and help Andy
who lives in a Dorm. My daughter Suzanne has written
in and together we research, shop and try to educate
Andy who is busy adjusting to insulin, being a
freshman, studying his saxaphone and trying to find
something to eat. Any advice and help are appreciated
and also would love to here from other celiacs who
have type 1 diabetes and maybe even attend college and
live the dorm life.  Thankyou from the whole
family!!!!  Barbara in Ventura, California