Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:11:44 -0700

I like to bake with a 1:1:1 ratio of Almond Flour, Hazelnut Flour, and GF All Purpose (Bob's Red Mill). This gives me a good balance of carbs and texture. Some people suggested Chestnut or Coconut Flour, but their carb counts are too high to be used by me. (A few mentioned grinding your own, and I know that many of you do that. I've done that when I've run out. I think that is the topic for another thread, though.) Below is a comparison of companies and their prices. For those of you concerned about carbs, the breakdown is as follows:

Almond Flour - net carbs per 1/4 cup = 3.00g (1.00g of sugar), from Bob's
  Hazelnut Flour - net carbs per 1/4 cup = 2.00g (1.00g of sugar), from Bob's
  GF All Purpose Flour - net carbs per 1/4 cup = 19.00g (1.00g of sugar), from Bob's
Chestnut Flour - net carbs per 1/4 cup = 20g, from Dowd & Rogers
Coconut Flour - net carbs per 3.5 ozs = 26.3g (8.7g sugar), from Tropical Traditions

  Lucy's Kitchen - Almond Flour (www.lucyskitchen.com)
Many people wrote in favor of this company. Comments include: finely ground & speedy delivery.
5 lbs = $33.75
10 lbs = $65.00
25 lbs = 156.25

  Hughson Nut - Almond Flour (http://www.hughsonnut.com)
Only sell in bulk, but is cheaper and freezes well.
25 lbs = 112.50

  Trader Joe's - Almond Flour (http://www.traderjoes.com)
Suggested by a list member. However, there are no locations in Oklahoma, and you cannot order online. (According to the website, there are two markets: East Coast/Midwest and West Coast.) I also didn't see almond flour on their gluten-free products lists, although there is a general entry for nuts.

  Bob's Red Mill - Almond Flour (http://www.bobsredmill.com)
I got a lot of emails about the meticulous care of their GF Items. Look for the GF symbol on the package.
1 lb = $10.43
4.5 lbs (case) = $37.55
25 lbs = $114.30 (currently on sale)

  Bob's Red Mill - Hazelnut Flour
1 lb = $10.95
4 lbs (case) = $39.42
25 lbs = $125.00

  Dowd & Rogers - Chestnut Flour
A list of distributors can be found at http://dowdandrogers.com/wholesale.html. There are no distributors in Oklahoma, but it can be found at glutenfreemall.com. Below is the price from that site.
14 oz = $7.48

  Allen Creek Farm Chestnuts - Stone-Milled Chestnut Flour (www.chestnutsonline.com)
The site says that it also sells a finer ground chestnut flour, but it does not give a price or say if it is GF.
1 lb = $9.90
5 lb pack = $42.00

  Tropical Traditions - Coconut Flour (http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_coconut_flour.htm)
Suggested by a couple of list members commenting that the flavor is really good. They are having a sale right now.
2.2 lbs = $10.95 ($12.95 retail)
4.4 lbs = $12.95 - BOGO Free Sale ($25.90 retail)

  http://www.nuts4u.com/
This site has a wide variety of products that are gluten, whey and soy free. Really too much information to include here.

  Angela Taylor