From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 01:21:48 -0500

I found the following information concerning Passover foods that do not
have any product made from the grains that as celiacs we are not allowed
to eat. (KFP=Kosher for Passover) These products are available in the
US, probably Canada and some are available in Israel and Europe. I don't
know what is available in South Africa, Australia,  South or Central
America.

Www.koshermeal.com 1-800-YOKOSHER. A California company that offers
Passover meals and prepared foods made without matzah. These are not
available year round. I just found this and have not had time to check
it out. They ship.

Empire-www.empirekosher.com  1-800-367-4734 -except for the ground
turkey their raw meat products are KFP year round. -cold cuts ( turkey
pastrami, turkey breast, etc) KFP - franks (chicken, turkey) KFP -latkes
now have corn starch year round.

Rokeach-www.rokeach.com -baby cereal, cinnamon flavored, states on
package GF. I forgot to check the ingredients -latkes for Passover have
no starch

Ossies Fish Market, Brooklyn 11219 -Ossies Gefilta Fish--Horseradish,
Jalapeno, Lemon-Dill, Cajun, Salmon, Almond-Raisin) I checked the
horseradish and Almond-Raisin they had NO starch and were about a third
calories from fat.  This brand is available year round, however I have
not looked at the ingredients during the year. I have never eaten this
gefilta fish.

Gefilta fish-check at your local stores. My local kosher store makes
their own brand of gefilta fish that is without any starch year round
and I believe there are other brands available without any starch or
matzah meal.

Streit's makes a cake mix from potato starch. However it seems to me to
be almost as complicated or more complicated than making a cake from
scratch. All of them call for separating the eggs, beating them
separately, then mixing. Plus a box is expensive. I am trying to obtain
cake recipes that are low cholesterol in addition to the ones I will get
from my friend.

Mrs. Schreiber Chopped Liver had potato starch.

Meal Mart-- Outside NY state 1-800-328-4528 In NY/overseas 718-894-2000
The following products are specially produced for Passover and
apparently will not be available year round. -frozen-chopped liver had
no starch or matzah meal, did have xantham gum -frozen-kiske had potato
starch. Is made with beef fat. -frozen-family pack--Stuffed Cabbage;
Chicken & Turkey Nuggets (chopped & formed, all white meat) potato
starch. I have tried the nuggets and they are good. You know you are
eating chicken/turkey. They do not taste like a sponge although I did
find them a little salty, but I do not use any salt in my own cooking. I
bought some to have after passover.
-frozen-Mon Cuisine dinners-Turkey; Roast Chicken; Beef Goulosh;
Salsbury Steak. I have not tried these yet but plan on stocking up in
case I have to be hospitalized during the year and need food.

Wilton Foods, Goshen, NY -Blintz skins--potato starch -blintz's (spinach
& carrot, blueberry,  potato, cheese) potato starch--I tried the potato.
It was an acceptable substitute for regular blintzes or a knish. The
spinach & carrot was very high in fat (about 50%), the others were
around a third (some higher) in fat. I have recipes for these that are
apparently very easy and sure a lot cheaper.

Marshmellows by Elyon and Liebers both made in Israel. Both use potato
syrup and tapioca starch. Elyon uses a gelatin made from kosher beef
bones while Liebers uses fish gelatin. These should be available
worldwide. Lieber's had French labeling so should be going at least to
Canada.

Oberlanders, Orthodox Baking Co., Brooklyn, NY 11211--fingers, diet
kichel (without sugar or salt), sugar kichel (cost 3.59 for 4 oz),
cakes, cookies. Have friends that highly recommended this brand. Tried
the fingers and they were very crumbly.

Hagadda-distributed by Bloom's--718-765-1919 and for institutional
rders 718-638-1589 The boxes and ingredient lists seem to duplicate
Oberlanders, but after trying a few of the varieties they did not taste
the same. I personally preferred this to Oberlanders. Tried the
chocolate cake it was light and had a mild taste. The fingers were
moister than Oberlanders.

Dairy products--I have noticed that even year round some of the dairy
products that are what is called Cholev Israel (a loose translation is
Jewish milk) is not made with a generic modified food starch and some
are KFP all year round. I have found cottage cheese this way. Many of
the dairy products such as hard cheeses, soft cheeses are KFP year
round. Also check around Kraft produces KFP  (therefore no gluten) cream
cheese, Light n' Lively cottage cheese and Axelrode has some KFP
products.

I am able to find Gold's sweet and sour sauce that is KFP year round.
Unless you cannot find it during the year I would not recommend stocking
up.

Remember what  Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]> wrote about which
KFP ingredients ARE GLUTEN:

DO NOT EAT.
Matzah is made as a whole piece, using a specific recipe.
Tiny chunks of matzah are called matzah farfel or fahfal.
Ground up matzah is matzah meal.
Ground up even further it's cake meal.
They all start out as wheat and water. Avoid them all!

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA