From:
Doris E Valentine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:28:12 -0600

Dear List members,
I am a diagnosed Celiac.  My mother and sister are also gluten intolerant
- although they don't seem to as sensitive as I am.   I have a few
questions that I hope you can answer.

        1.  I  love to camp.  Since being diagnosed with CD I have gone
camping
twice.  My question is - do Dutch Ovens carry gluten even after they have
been washed and seasoned?  Both times I have gotten sick from something -
and the only thing I can think of is that the dutch ovens are still
"contaminated" with gluten.  Does that make sense to anyone?

        2.  This is more important.  12 years ago I had a son with Aplastic
Anemia.  The Dr.s told us that a bone marrow transplant would be his
"savior".  The transplant worked - but he died 8 months later from a
rejection process (graft vs. host  disease).  My question is - Does
Aplastic Anemia belong to the same genetic family as Celiac/Sprue? This
has been troubling me for quite some time.  I just didn't have this forum
to voice my concern.  Anyone out there with the same situation - Parent
has Celiac/ child has Aplastic Anemia?