From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2008 16:00:53 -0400

Here's more:

  I think some of that might be specific to certain types of breads.
I use a bread that my local Breadsmith (obviously not a wheat-free
environment!!) makes once a week.  It does soak up the egg-milk mixture for
French toast, but more slowly.  Bread that I don't eat I cut up and dry in
the oven and make croutons.  The croutons make great stuffing, but they take
about 50% more chicken broth than regular bread does.  I think that is
because they are more dense.

That is an interesting observation, though.

*********

I found out by mistake - trying to use frozen bread - that warm bread makes much better
bread pudding and dressing.  I use Ener G tapioca bread for French Toast & it does a
decent job of absorbing the egg/milk mix.
Hope the warm bread works for you.

********

I haven't noticed that problem... have you tried Breads for Anna.  We have her bread for
everything; french toast, stuffing, bread puddings, sandwiches, bread crumbs, ect.

********

We make French Toast with white Kinikinnack bread and they absorb egg just fine.

********

I wonder if first soaking the bread in milk, water or apple juice would soften it a bit.   I
haven't tried this, but it's worth a try.  I love bread pudding, but haven't eaten it in years.
Thanks for the inspiration!

********

I assume the reason is because gluten gets into the bread, gives it some elasticity, and
allows it to rise up, creating sort of a sponginess inside.  No gluten = no elasticity, the
bread never rises up with the same spongy kind of character.  Thus, when you try to get
the bread wet with anything, it just kind of lays there on the outside.  Gluten bread is like
a sponge ... GF bread is like a brick. Perhaps a little overstated, but that's sort of how it
works.

I have found that heating the bread a bit does help it soak up liquid.  Such as, if you want
to make French toast, try heating your bread in the microwave for maybe about 15-20
seconds, then dip it in the egg mixture.  You don't want to re-cook the bread -- just bring
it up to barely hot, so it softens a bit is becomes a bit pliable. It still won't be the same
as gluten bread, but it helps a little.  I also punch a bunch of holes in the bread with a
fork, when I put it into the egg mixture.

When I make garlic bread with GF bread, I spread the butter and/or olive oil on top, in a
thin layer, then pop it in the microwave for about 10 seconds.  The butter or oil then
really does a good job of permeating the bread.  Then I take it and add garlic salt,
Parmesan cheese, basil ... or whatever I plan on putting on it .. and THEN put it in the
oven to brown.  This seems to work really well for me, and the bread is very moist.

Make sure your bread is thawed out, dry and very thirsty before putting it
in the egg/milk mixture.  I would let mine sit out overnight, at room temp
and uncovered before I tried to make French toast.

I know what you're talking about, but I have had success making "stratas" or
French toast casseroles (like bread pudding) and letting it all soak up
overnight. I've typically used Whole Foods GF Bakehouse sandwich bread for
these and everyone loves it. So maybe an hour just isn't enough time.