From:
Joan Hartwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Hartwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:21:07 -0400

Hi List Members:
Should have known better than to tempt the hands of fate.
However, I got many, many responses and they all state the same:

Leave graham crumbs alone!
Damage is still being done by eating them!
Sometimes it takes two episodes to trigger a reaction!
Better safe than sorry, leave be!
Damage is unseen, so do not tempt yourself!
Use Rice Bran Crackers and enjoy!

However, my friend was here from South Africa, and her and her
granddaughter had made Cheese Cake, and instead of causing a scene, I had a
sliver and did enjoy it.  And yes, I do realize that it still does damage,
but I also went all my life UN -diagnosed, (I am now over 55, and was not
diagnosed until about 15 years ago, so look at all the damage in those
years) and does the medical profession care enough to do any research and
test people with health concerns that go on and on for years?  It is time
that Celiac was a common test and not one that has to be asked for (like in
the case of my son).
Thank you very much everyone who took the time to respond to my question, I
appreciate very much the concern others have for each other when dealing
(in this case) with Celiac.  It is a hard one to live with, and indeed a
boring diet, but one must do it to not suffer continually.
Actually who knows, we might all be better off if we all avoided wheat
products, I realize the Canadian economy would suffer what with all the
grain grown here, but we may have healthier people, less medical bills.
Thanks again for your input,
Joan