From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:13:43 -0800

Listmates,

The product I am questioning (Rice Toonies - Tamari with Seaweed) is little rice crisps or crackers about the size of the Canadian $1 toonie coin.

I'm not 100% sure about our labelling laws in Canada, but when I read "wheat" in the list of ingredients, I certainly decide not to eat that product, and when the package labelling claims the product is gluten free, I complain.  Here is the reply I got from the company, which makes no sense to me:

Hi Helen:

Thank you for asking. Our Rice toonies(Red hot chili
pepper, 50% less salt, Tamari and Sour Cream & Onion)
are gluten free. Because during the production
process, gluten(protein of wheat) and another protein
are digested by enzyme to be peptide and amino acid.
So that gluten not remain in soy sauce product.

I expect a different reply will come from Health Canada's investigation. Can't have it both ways - claim to be gluten free and yet list wheat in the ingredients.

Helen