From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 01:56:33 -0500

Next Tuesday is Purim and this year I was determined to finally make
some hamentaschen. I did another search of the archives and found alot
of recipes (5 basic recipes with one having a total of 4 variations). At
the end of this message I have listed the information on which messages
included these recipes. One recipe does not use eggs (but does include
nuts so is not lowfat) and each basic recipe used a different gf flour
mixes. I also found a recipe for a Meringue Hamantaschen which is low
fat & uses no flour from rec.food.cuisine.jewish which can be found in
their archives which is at: http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj

I intend to try 3 of the recipes: the egg free recipe, one based on a
Chabad recipe and the third is a recipe from Jan Hill
<[log in to unmask]>.  The last recipe is a variation on the
recipe that seems to be very popular since there are 4 variations on the
list archives. It was originally submitted to the list by
[log in to unmask] and is one that is apparently a modification of one by
Marsha Holowinko which was published in the Winter 1994 Lifeline (CSA),
the next modification was by Ellen Switkes who apparently makes it
without the xanthan gum. Another variation uses a different flour mix
and the one I used added some orange juice. Each variation includes
different mixing instructions which are interesting to compare.

Today I made the recipe submitted to the list by [log in to unmask] and I
substituted the following gf flour mix--1 part chickpea/besan flour, 1
part cornstarch and 1 part tapioca flour plus I used sweet
rice/glutenous rice flour for dusting (it needed alot since it was quite
gummy). At the request of my 4 year old assistant I used chocolate chips
as the filling and he really heaped them on. I had to double the baking
time. The cookies held their shape, were easy to make and they could be
recognized as hamantaschen. This recipe makes about 60 hamantaschen.  So
far 4 nonceliac's have tried them and all agreed they were like the real
thing (it's been so long since I routinely ate them I don't even know
what type of hamantaschen dough I prefer so I wasn't sure if the dough
was "right"). In fact the children, who have been my tasters/helpers on
alot of my gluten free cooking adventures and have are not reluctant in
telling me when something is not acceptable, asked me to make more from
this recipe.

The following messages will give you all the recipes and advice on
making hamentaschen. Or do a search using hamenstaschen or hamenstashen
or hamenstashen or Hamantashen or hamantaschen. I did not repeat the
messages since there is so much information here (printed it is 7
pages). The archives are at http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/celiac.html