From:
Stephanie West <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephanie West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 14:45:37 -0400

My husband and I just ret'd from a fantastic vacation in the Canadian Rockies.  We were on a weeklong bicycling, hiking, and rafting trip with Backroads Adventures (www.backroads.com).  This is our fifth Backroads vacation and they have done a great job accomodating my gluten-free needs on every trip (four inn trips and one camping trip).  The format of most of these trips is that you essentially pedal or hike from meal to meal and then rest for the night in a luxury inn.  We dine at a nice restaurant for breakfast and dinner; the leaders prepare a mid-route gourmet picnic for lunch.  Each morning, you have the option of packing snacks in your bike bag to keep your energy high for the day's ride.

The leaders on our recent trip (Kimberley and Joasia) prepared a separate gf picnic for me and had gf breads & snacks available every day of this trip.  They kept all of the gf food separate from the rest and also sent advance notice to all of our hotels & restaurants.  Granted, this can't be guaranteed for all other trips (due to location of some of the Backroads trips), but I certainly want to applaud the effort of these two leaders!

We were also impressed with the gf-awareness at each of the following lodges.  Each lodge/hotel had gf bread available (I emailed a request in advance, and Backroads backed it up with their requests).

Buffalo Mountain Lodge in Banff (www.buffalomountainlodge.com)
 - excellent food at Cilantro's restaurant

Post Hotel in Banff (www.posthotel.com)
 - exceptional service & accomodations.  Dining room staff is very experienced with the gf diet.

Num-Ti-Jah lodge (inbetween Banff and Jasper National Parks)  www.num-ti-jah.com
 - rustic accomodations in very cozy lodge.  Chef Dale made homemade gf-banana bread that was the best I've tasted!

Jasper Park Hotel in Jasper (www.jasperparklodge.com)
 - a Fairmont resort.  Had gf bread available at each meal.

The Palliser Hotel in Calgary (www.palliserhotel.com)
- a Fairmont hotel in downtown Calgary.  Had gf bread available at each meal.

I have no financial interest in any of the lodges or in Backroads.  I'm simply a delighted customer!  If you like active vacations, Backroads knows how to do it right!

Stephanie West