From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 14:44:19 -0400

In <[log in to unmask]>, on 09/23/97
   at 12:18 PM, Marvin L Becker <[log in to unmask]> said:

>>advisor(Dr.Green) saying short-term reactions are not Celiac related

I posted this off list to the original question. Dr. Green's statement to
the Westchester group was that short term (following eating gluten)
diarrhea only occurs in celiac disease at a very late stage of continuing
gluten ingestion. It's a natural response to devastation of a large part
of the small bowel, apparently. He said he didn't know what this short
term diarrhea comes from.

Meanwhile, Dr. Sampson at the AMA press briefing distinguished between two
kinds of food allergies, those of the Type I hypersensitivity reaction
class (IgE) and everything else. Time scales for these as little as as
hour for the first (wheat, peanut perhaps) and up to three or four days
for the second. Lots of non-gastrointestinal symptoms for these.
Gastrointestinal include diarrhea, vomiting, cramps, etc. Symptoms highly
variable from one person to another, so a very personal condition. Sampson
said this second class was poorly understood. (Press stories from this
briefing may begin appearing soon.)

Some biopsed celiacs do respond short term, while others don't.

Question for the professionals:

Are the short termers just more sensitive to celiac damage or are they
also suffering from a different reaction to gluten?  Are the
non-responders less sensitive to celiac damage or just insensitive to this
other reaction?

The answer matters for those of us living in the real world where we don't
have the time to spend more than a half hour preparing a meal or to
thoroughly investigate down to the last (smallest) ingredient in every
food we buy. Variety is vital for the spirits in a restricted diet (and it
can also lessen the risk of contamination problems).

                                                    Kemp
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Long Island