From:
Katie Bretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:13:33 -0800

We've been around this vinegar thing several times.  I think it is
important to accept that there are different experiences represented on
this list.  If we try, we can share information without invalidating each
other's experience.

I think it is very helpful to share information gained from a company
about how their products are manufactured; and I am grateful to those who
take the time to work with them to get this information.  However, I
would ask posters who report this information just to report it and leave
it at that.   Trying  to tell those of us who are super sensitive what we
are or aren't reacting to is not productive.   As the standard preable to
post suggests, everyone needs to evaluate the information they find here
for themselves before trying to apply it to their own situations.

My experience indicates clearly that my body can and will react to
amounts below the detection limits of normally available tests.  I am
certain those chemists from French's, etc,  sincerely believe that their
products are effectively "purified" of grain proteins.  I am very
grateful that they take the time to try to understand the question
(better and more careful response than many companies make).   However, I
know from experience that I am safer to avoid all grain derived products,
as their tests are apparently not sensitive enough to pick up the minute
quantities that are enough to make my system react.

As I understand it, the toxic fractions of the grain proteins are soluble
in alcohol, and even distillation to a point where no protein can be
detected  might still (pun intended) leave enough to provoke reactions in
some of us.  If acid alone were the issue, I would be unable to enjoy,
for instance, cane based vinegars without a reaction.   In fact, I do
fine with the cane based ones (found at the local Asian market).  If
distillation removed the offending substances, I could drink whiskey
without a reaction.  Whiskey does give me a reaction; non-grain based
distilled spirits, such as good brandy or rum, don't.

Any biologist will tell you that there are endless examples of biological
sensitivities that vastly exceed the sensitivities of our best chemical
tests.  For instance, we can commonly smell a number of substances at
levels below chemical testing detection limits.  Likewise, some of us do
experience sensitivity to very minute amounts of grain substances.  My
doc, my dietician, and others who've posted to this list represent that
my experience is not unique.

I realize this experience of super sensitivity is very hard to understand
for most people if they haven't had it.  I would ask those who have
trouble with the concept to be considerate and  give us the benefit of
the doubt.  A statement to the effect that a certain product contains
grain derived materials, but contains no detectable amounts of gluten,
according to its manufacturer,  is a useful contribution.   Jumping from
that to pronouncements as to what others can or can't be reacting to,
isn't.

Thanks.