From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:07:40 -0700

Hi All--

First, I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my question about articles outlining the new laboratory criteria for determining low functioning thyroid (hypothyroidism). I'd been researching hypothyroidism, but couldn't seem to find specific articles that mentioned the new levels. Several people asked for a summary, so this is it. Truly, these links have all and more anyone could want to know about hypothyroidism and testing! Forgive me if some of the links are duplicates. My doc now has a number of articles, thanks to you all who replied.

It was a bit disconcerting to learn that even some endocrinologists are not aware of the new criteria proposed and accepted in 2003 by the Academy of Endocrinologists. Considering that the thyroid is such a big player in how our bodies function, perhaps all celiac patients should be screened on a regular basis, not just when we're fatigued and constipated. Several of the articles note that it's important for physicians to not just treat patients based on laboratory results, but consider the patient's symptomology as well - even if the patient is treated and the laboratory results show they now fall within the normal range, if they continue to exhibit symptoms of hypothyroidism, the doctor needs to make adjustments to treatment. Just as we've learned that celiac disease doesn't exhibit the same symptoms in each of us, thyroid disease doesn't either, apparently. One response listed below speaks to this issue.

Thanks, again, for all the great information and for coming to my rescue on short notice.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama
_____
I wrote a summary on hypothyroidism a while ago that definitely has more links (including some research articles), but here's what I have handy:

http://www.aace.com/pub/tam2003/explanation.php

http://www.aace.com/pub/tam2003/press.php

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/a/newrange.htm

http://www.thyroidpower.com/newguidelinesfr.html
_____
This is a pretty good site with a LOT of links about thyroid tests.  I don't have the specific links, but I know I found articles there that dealt with TSH levels, new standards, TRH testing, T3 and T4 usage vs. T4 only vs. natural thyroid meds, etc.  Poke around a bit, you'll find
more info than you probably want!

http://thyroid.about.com/blthyroid.htm

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/ss/preventthyroid_9.
htm

http://www.ithyroid.com/celiac_disease1.htm

Here's a few more links:
http://www.csaceliacs.org/library/hypothyroid.php

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=109

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/thy.2005.15.386;jsessionid=
jTnTbVXRu3c-?cookieSet=1&journalCode=thy

http://www.mythyroid.com/diseaseassociations.html
_____
There is the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists online--
http://www.aace.com/pub/tam2003/press.php
_____
Refused thyroid medication when diagnosed with celiac disease eight years ago.  Since being on the celiac diet I am tested yearly.  Thyroid test are now normal.
_____

The thyroid site on About.com is great. Here is a page in particular that I think will help you.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/publicawareness/l/bl_tshlevels.htm

_____
For some good absracts on CD and thyroid disease go to The Gluten File. This is an informational post on the Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac Disease forum of Braintalk Communities. Here is the link - to to the 3rd post for thyroid disease. http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3554

_____

WONDERFUL that you found such a cool new doctor.  The new guidelines are available from Mary Shomon's website as well as others.  If you do a google search for "new thyroid guidelines" several sources should pop up.  I printed one out & gave it to my doctor.

Funny thing though, if I take enough thyroid to put my TSH in the new zone, I feel HORRID!  I do better with the old guidelines!  Go figure! I'd recommend an excellent book on this subject:  WHAT YOUR DOCTOR MAY NOT TELL YOU ABOUT HYPOTHYROIDISM by Ken Blanchard MD, a board certified endocrinologist from Boston. Read it cover to cover, then read it again.
You'll learn TONS.  His book is what helped me get my thyroid issues straightened out after 15 Hellish months of struggling with it.  It really makes a difference when you finally find your perfect dose with the perfect combination of thyroid hormones!  Dr. Blanchard has a 98/2 rule that really nailed it for me.

_____

I'm happy for you, and your discovery of that doctor. I know that can be a life-changing event!

I found a very interesting video on the topic of new guidelines at http://www.blueskybroadcast.com/Client/P3/ . Click on this article:

"TSH Reference Range Redefined:
What does it Mean and What Should We Do?"
presented by: Stephanie Lee, MD, PhD, FACE.

Sorry it's a video and not printable... But very informative. I was successful in pulling a screen copy with Alt/PrintScrn (Windows PC), then I could paste that into MS Word. Or perhaps you can find accompanying printed material on the website?

_____
as a matter of fact I was just researching that because my son (who does not have CD as far as we know) may have hyperthyroid. (My daughter has CD)  I did a goole search & there is great info on this site: http://thyroid.about.com  (Please see the related articles a the bottom that state the new levels as I guess many doctors are not aware of the change in the guidelines.

_____

Go to Mary Shoman's(?) website on hypothyroid...she wrote books too.
_____