From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 01:25:00 -0500

A few weeks ago the listowners sent a questionnaire to all the CELIAC
subscribers asking two questions regarding the default "reply-to:"
address.  This affects where a message goes when you reply to a post on
the CELIAC list, IF you don't change it.  In the past the default was to
the list; in the last month we changed it to default to the individual
who posted the message.

The two questions we asked were:

  1. Do you prefer the old way (default to the list) or the new way
     (default to the individual)?

  2. If you find yourself in the minority on this issue, would it cause
     you to leave the list?

First, let me share with you the results of the survey.  Nearly a third
of the subscribers responded.  Considering those subscribers with
multiple addresses (whom we asked to only vote once), this was an
excellent response rate.

Here are the results.  The percentages don't add up to 100 in some cases
due to round-off error:

  1. Preference:
        Old way (default to the list) ......... 144 (34 %)
        New way (default to the individual) ... 258 (62 %)
        Don't care ............................  17 ( 4 %)

  2. Would leave the list if outvoted on this issue:
        Of those preferring the old way:
           Yes ..........   5 ( 3 %)
           Maybe ........   7 ( 5 %)
           No ........... 113 (78 %)
           Didn't say ...  19 (13 %)
        Of those preferring the new way:
           Yes ..........  20 ( 8 %)
           Maybe ........   8 ( 3 %)
           No ........... 198 (77 %)
           Didn't say ...  32 (12 %)

Incidentally, if any of your are interested, we've placed the entire
text of all the responses in a special file you can have sent to you.
(We've removed names and e-mail addresses to protect the privacy of
the respondents.)  Reading the comments will give you a real
understanding of how the majority view this list.  In tabulating the
results we were very gratified with the positive feedback this list
received.  To get a copy of the survey responses, send a message to
[log in to unmask] (NOT to the CELIAC address) containing:
GET CELIAC TMPFILE9 CELIAC

So what does this mean?  Nearly 2 out of 3 respondents prefer the new
way, and of those who did not agree, the vast majority (78%) said they
did not feel strongly enough about the issue to leave the list over
it.  The listowners will respect the wishes of the majority and keep
the default "reply-to:" address as it is now--to the individual who
makes a post.

PLEASE REMEMBER:  The default can easily be changed.  If you overtype
the default with the list's address, your reply will go to the list
for all the subscribers to read.  Most email software allows you to
set up a short alias or abbreviation for common addresses, and if you
use this facility you can make an easy-to-remember alias such as C
ELIAC for the list address.  If not, then you would have to type in
the full address ([log in to unmask]) when you wish to reply to
the list.

In making this small change, we have NOT changed the policies of the
list.  The same guidelines should be used for any posting to the list:
Is it a personal message, or is it one that many others would benefit
from reading?  We encourage people to summarize any personal replies
they receive, when those replies are of general interest.  Please do
not simply forward ALL your personal replies to the List: (a) Use your
judgment on whether a reply is relevant for the List, and (b) If it
is, please edit out extraneous lines and internet headers.  If you
need assistance in doing this please contact one of the listowners and
we will get someone to help you out.  (And if you are willing to be
one of those helpers, please let us know.)

It is our hope that the relatively few people who said they would
leave the list will reconsider.  We are following the wishes of the
majority on this issue.  The overall list volume has recovered from
the initial adjustment period.  We have had numerous posts in the last
few weeks that were of value, and far fewer "mistakes" and "me-toos"
than in the past.  That was our goal in making the change.

For the listowners,

Jim Lyles ........ <[log in to unmask]> ........ Holly, Michigan, USA