From:
Jessie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 19:30:04 -0700

As icing sugar contains 5% starch I called Rogers Sugar today.   After the
longest electronic message interspersed by punching in numbers, I reached a
message that said I could leave a message.

I did, and received a call back within 5 minutes.  Rogers sugars are
distributed in the four Western provinces of Canada.  A small amount goes
into Ontario.

They used to use wheat starch but in May  this year they switched to corn
starch.  So  anything from June on is definitely gluten free.

Here's how to tell when a bag of icing sugar was packaged.  There is a date
code stamped on the side of the bag.  Today's would be 09 I 9 DA.  The 09 is
today's date, the I, as in H, I , J, stands for September and the last nine
for the year.  DA tells if it was the day or afternoon shift.

The letters start with A for January, B for February and so on, so June 1,
1999 would be  01  F 9 D/A.  The rep suggested not using anything dated
before June, therefore from F on.

I just asked about the starch and he immediately asked if I was celiac.  He
gets lots of questions and said if anyone has any questions to do with foods
and nutrition that involves sugars he will be happy to answer them.

His name is Rolf Johansen and his number at Rogers Sugar is 604 253 1131
ext 4312.

Hope this helps someone to put the icing on their cake safely.

Jessie  in BC