From:
Susan Batchelder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Batchelder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:39:03 -0800

Thanks so much for all of you responses.

Susan

We love Muriel's Restaurant in the French Quarter.  We have been several times and they will fix  whatever you want on the menu and make it gf.  It is an upscale dining place but not terribly expensive.  (Another recommendation for Muriel's)
Elizabeth

It has been a while since my buddie with Celiac and I ate in New Olreans, but I think he was able to eat the steak and potatoes at Port-o-Call.   I would advice you to plan to eat around 5pm for dinner.  The line can get very long.
 There is an Outback in Slidell.
For breakfast there is a place called Surry's on Magazine that can make a great omellette that he enjoyed.
 There is no place that specifically has a GF menu...that I know of.
Peter Emond

Mona's is Mediterranean. There are several locations. They make their own pita bread but we can't eat that. I get the chicken kabob and never have had a problem in any of their locations.

Nirvana is an Indian restaurant on Magazine Street. They have a small buffet at lunch time. I usually can eat several of their dishes and it is very tasty and you leave feeling very good. Can't eat the great naan bread though.

Pho Tau Bay on the West Bank is in a very dingy small commericial area just past the first exit off the expressway. The food is amazing and they have rice noodles. I get VG6. Never had a problem.

Bennachin's. Address: 1212 Royal St. is an African restaurant in the french quarter. A very quirky place with good food.

Blue Tomato, 4401 Jefferson Hwy, is a combination of mexican and italian food. I love their fish tacos, request corn tortillas. Great margaritas. Stick with the plain variety.

Juan's Flying Burrito has two locations. Magazine St. and Canal at Carrollton. Again, fish tacos are what I order and they are quit different from the Blue Tomato's. Great mango margaritas.

I can only recommend the French Quarter - Acme Oyster is safe and also Emeril's (expensive) can serve you a gf meal.  Enjoy!

ACME  oyster bar.  In the French quarter.    The last time I was
there the waitress and cook assured me  the only thing they use in the
kitchen is  corn flour.  The meal was great. (Another recommendation for ACME)

Emeril's (expensive) can serve you a gf meal. (Another recommendation for Emeril's)

You can definately eat at Casamento's on Magazine Street. To my delight everything fried is done in 100% corn flour. My husband grew up in New Orleans and this is a family favorite. Of course you can double check incase they have changed. Tell them you are a Celiac. Also, all the fine restaurants will accommodate you . Bayona is owned by a friend  Susan Spicer ,  who is also the head chef. Call ahead a let them know. Le Cochon is great, in the Art's district. Call ahead there too, Typical New Orleans food is by nature not easy for Celiacs. All the rouxs have flour. Many things are deep fried. And of course you won't be able to eat Benets at Cafe Du Monde.

We were there in 2007 and ate at Port of Call (burger w/no bun and baked potatoe loaded). Best burgers we've ever had! At the time the Monsoon (house specialty drink) was gf. For a fine dining experince we ate at GW Fins and Chef Denney had three killer desserts that were gluten free as prepared.
 Try RedFish Grill, over on Bourbon Street.  It's one of the Brennan Family restaurants, and they are sensitive to food intolerances and allergies etc...