Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:30:02 -0800

From what I've been sent, Panera's bread comes ready
to bake to the stores, they just pop it in the oven.
That's good news for us. However, it seems that not
every store has the same recipes. Luckily, each store
carries a recipe book (actually just a list of
ingredients) so you can check on a particular item. As
always though, eating out is a risk that you must
judge for yourself.
Angela Taylor (Tulsa, Oklahoma)

There is no  effort to prevent cross-contamination and
it is not reasonable to ask a bakery to do so. the
company is being very forthright to give us this info.
I do eat these soups and salads on occasion without
problem, but if you are very sensitive I wouldn't
think you should risk it. Have a good day. :)
Sharon

Corporate Headquarters from Panera was kind enough to
send me a list of Gluten-free products and recipes, so
I too, was excited about eating at our local Panera
until they served me soup [GF according to Corporate]
which obviously had what looked like orzo pasta
(barley) in it! It seems each store has a recipe book
and not all of them adhere to corporate recipes
standards. I would be very careful and check both the
recipe book as well as the product for hidden gluten
before eating! I checked with the manager of this
particular store in Arlington, MA and he told me some
Panera's are franchises and are independently run!
Best of luck

I went to Panera twice. The first time, it was fine.
The second time different location it got won tons on
my Asian salad. It looked like they picked them out
after they saw that I requested no wan tons and missed
some. You may risk some x contamination. It's a
personal choice you'll have to make. Just like when we
do when we go out anywhere else to eat.. not far, but
that is the way it is.
Good luck! Kim

I asked at our local Panera if they mix the bread
there or just bake it. They receive frozen dough and
bake that, so there aren't clouds of flour all over
from mixing dough.  But then, there probably is some
dust floating around. I also make sure that the local
restaurant doesn't add extra ingredients to the soup
I'm ordering. Once I ordered the vegetarian vegetable,
and it had tiny little round pastas in it. The local
chef had thrown them in. Each store has a list of
their ingredients at the counter, just ask to see it.
Barbara MN

I think Paneras bread comes ready to bake in the
stores. It isn't actually mixed, etc in the store. I
have a friend who is a baker and they don't hire
them in the stores because only the actual cooking
goes on at the store.
Judith Ft. Worth, TX