From:
Kimberly Lantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:37:38 -0500

Hi List,

Let me make a clarification on the Honey Baked Hams. I'm sorry. I assumed
everyone knew about the store. Most knew, others wern't sure.

The post is from the district manager of Honey Baked Ham stores in the
Central Florida Area. I know there are stores in most metropolitan areas.
Here is the email I sent along with the reply: Hope this helps you all to
decide whether on not you want to trust it.

John,

Your name was given to me as a good source for the question I poised to the
staff at your new store in Ocoee FL.

I am a celiac and need to steer clear of gluten/gladian and products that
may contain them. I asked the staff about the Gluten Free/Wheat Free status
of your Turkey. They had no clue what gluten/gladian intolerance was. I
attempted to explain. I was told the ingredients were secret several times.
I told them I respected that. They can keep them secret. However, could they
advise me if there was anything in the ingredients that could contain
gluten. I did not want to purchase a Turkey and end of being sick for days
as a result of eating something with gluten. One worker realized what I was
talking about because one of her relatives have the same problem. She
explained how very sick it could make me. They were very nice and pulled out
a turkey with the ingredients posted and let me read. Only concern I have is
about what your artificial and natural flavors may contain. I asked what the
natural and artificial flavors contained. They responded "well, they don't
have flour." I again, explained flour was not my only concern. Gluten is
anything contains wheat, rye, barley, hops, malt or derivatives of.
Which may include soy beans made from wheat,HVP MSG. What about the smoking
process? What is used for the basting?

Barley, malt made from rice is fine. Corn is too. If it's corn gluten that
is fine. Is there a chance of cross contamination occurring in the cooking
process? Is there a dedicated line for Gluten Free products? Your spices, do
you use flour as an anti-caking agent?

If your Turkeys are Gluten Free, there would be a lot of happy campers out
there. I'm sure a few would be interested in the Ham too.

I would love to pass on your response the to Celiac community regardless, of
whether it's good or bad news for us. If you don't know, could you please
pass this on to someone with the knowledge. I would love to have this before
Wednesday, so I can make a decision of where I want to go to purchase my
Turkey.

Thanks for you help.

Kimberly Lantz

The ham as well as the Turkey Breasts and the Whole Roasted Turkey are
gluten free --------- except you can not have them glazed! The glaze
seasoning has a very small amount of starch. We invite you to purchase and
enjoy our meat products without the glaze.

Just tell our store manager that you talked to me and they will prepare one
for you without the glaze. I think that you will thoroughly enjoy our
products even without our special glaze.

Hope this answers your questions. We did have our glazed ham analyzed for
gluten residuals by ABC Research in Gainesville, FL. and they found none
because of the heat applied to the glaze. Please call me if you wish to
discuss further.

1-800-662-3235 x 3303.

Thank you,
John