From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 09:45:28 -0500

HOUSTON CHAPTER SPECIAL ASSISTANCE TO THOSE WITH DIABETES AND CELIAC
DISEASE.

     Our member SARA JONES - {Contact information:  [log in to unmask], or
call her Vonage number (no fees): 780/449-2910} is now living in Mexico, but
she still continues to help people with diabetes and celiac disease.  She
has a unique perspective with her own diabetes and CD challenges for many
years. She was one of our initial members way back!  She also wants to help
and guide those needing a Mexico connection whether short-term or long-term.
She speaks Spanish pretty well, too.

"I'm sure I'll still learn a few lessons the hard way, but with the
experience of living and remembering GF in the 80s and 90s, those
lessons-learned put me way ahead of the bulk/crowd down here.  Label reading
is hilarious down here.....some English, mostly Spanish, and the
smallest/tiniest print that sometimes even a magnifying glass can't help
with.

Mexico has been interesting from the gluten-free perspective and much more
GF friendly than I might have hoped for.  My concern is not for me but for
some of the local U.S. and Canadian gluten-sensitives that I learned have
been ordering, buying, eating corn tortillas, lunch meats, and other without
knowing enough Spanish, or having enough experience, to know the importance
of when, where, and what.  One such lady, an upstairs neighbor who actually
has Celiac Disease, from the Nebraska area recently worried me ....during a
quick chat when crossing paths she mentioned that she believes she must have
"Refractory Sprue" and simply can't put weight back on.  The Celiac neighbor
and her hubby are snow birds so they've returned to the states for the
summer and plan to return during the fall.  If and when they return, I'll
try to catch up with her again.

Thanks for spreading the word about me to help in Mexico...please, even to
the other local celiac support groups across the U.S.  There are
sooooooooooo many gluten-sensitive or just-going-GF people down here from
the northern U.S. and Canada.   Most have only been doing GF within the last
five to seven years and those I've met don't seem to be very experienced.
So far I haven't met or heard of any from Texas or other southern
states.....I'm willing to go to the Lake Chapala Society (the local expat
center) and post my name and phone number on the bulletin board (along with
all of the homes-for-sale and pet-sitting post cards)."

Sincerely,

Janet Y. Rinehart -- [log in to unmask]; 281-679-7608

Chairman, Houston Celiac Support Group

www.houstonceliacs.org

Former President, CSA/USA, Inc. -- www.csaceliacs.org

Jefferson Award Winner, May 2008, for public service to celiacs

*******
*******