From:
Susan Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 22:56:58 EST

Following is a response from Jelly Belly about their GLUTEN FREE jelly beans:

We do not use gluten in any of our current flavors of Jelly Belly jelly
beans, however, we do use corn starch in all of our jelly beans.

Our Jelly Belly jelly beans and Goelitz Confections Pectin, Mellocreme and
Gelatin candies are gluten-free and considered safe for the celiac-sprue
patient to consume.

In addition, you requested information regarding two specific areas:   "The
source of our 'modified food starch' and which 'natural flavors and
artificial flavorings' are used in our products."

In regard to the source of our "modified food starch," we use corn.  Our
"natural flavors" are identified on all packaging, and include fruit juice
concentrates, fruit purees, coffee, peanut butter, chocolate, coconut and
cocoa powder.  We also use oil of peppermint, lemon, lime and tangerine oils
to flavor Jelly Belly beans featuring those particular flavors.

These products contain gluten and must be avoided:

All of our Goelitz Confections Chocolate Malt Balls, Licorice Pastels,
Licorice Bridge Mix, Dimples, Christmas Dimples, Deluxe Christmas Mix, and
Speckled Chocolate Malted Eggs.

Sweet Regards,
Mr. Jelly Belly
Chairman of the Bean