From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:26:28 -0400

Several people have been asking me about more resources for art
supply materials and I can see why; there are so few out there.  :-(

The best one I can recommend is still "The Artist's Handbook of
Materials and Techniques" by Ralph Mayer.  This has been an essential
reference for artists for a long time; you will want the latest
edition (mine is from 1964, The Viking Press, NY).  It is
unfortunately fat and very technical.

I've been asking all around, rummaging in art , crafts, and children's
book departments with very little success, until I found an old
friend, "Kids' America" by Stephen Caney, that I nearly wore out while
my daughter was growing up.  I didn't know it was still in print, but
it is an excellent sourcebook for kids' home-made activities of all
kinds (I gave my copy to my sister-in-law for her little ones, when my
girl became a practicing adolescent).  Of course, it is not aimed at
celiac

children, so you have to edit the materials carefully, but on page
137, it does have a list of natural dyes for fabric, which could also
be used for eggs, paints, etc.  These are dyes, however, possibly not
washable!  You and the children should wear old clothes that you don't
mind staining.  "Kids' America" (by Stephen Caney) is published by
Workman Publishing Co., 708 Broadway, NY, NY 10003.  It may be in your
local bookstore.

I'll be temporarily signing off the list today, since I have
(unrelated) surgery coming up, but I'll be back when I can.  Thanks to
all the great people on this list who help make a strange new way of
life not only bearable, but even sometimes fun!  (Great recipes, and
even the occasional vampire joke!)  And thanks to the wonderful list
administrators, for making this list possible!

Good eating and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore