From:
Cliff Kothcka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 09:37:30 -0600

>I would like to know if anyone on our list has had problems occur after
>other antibiotics
>besides Macrodantin.  Any stories?  It also might be interesting to see if
>it is common to develop over sensitivity to antibiotics, as that has
>happened with me and penicillin.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Susan Owens

I read your post on antibiotics with great interest.  It is any area which I
have begun to research in the past few weeks, for I too have felt a
connection between these drugs and my CD problem.

Although I now realize that I may have had some minor symptoms indicating a
predisposition to CD during my childhood, I believe that the onset of my
celiac problem began during a severe infection I had about 12 years ago.  I
remember being home from work for about two weeks that winter with much of
the time  spent flat on my back.  My doctor treated me with a couple of
different antibiotics over a three week period.  (At this point I should
state that I have never had an adverse allergic response to any medication.)

The infection cleared up, and I returned to work weighing about 10 pounds
less. Almost immediately I developed loose stools and frequent diarrhea, and
I never gained back the weight I lost during the illness. It took me a year
to figure out that I was suffering from a lactase deficieny.  After I cut
out the diary products, I felt much better and gained back the weight.

This incident marked the beginnings of the GI problems which afflicted me
with varying frequency but growing  severity over the years until the
diagnosis of CD last spring.  Adherence to a very strict GF diet has given
me back my health, although I am not as vigorous as I used to be.

About three weeks ago I developed a soare throat, fever, etc., which my
doctor again treated with antibiotics (teramycin).  My GI tract has not been
normal since.  While I am  still having only  one BM a day, there are
noticeable differences.  (C'mon folks, we're all in the same boat.  Don't
make me go into all the details.)

--

Cliff Kotchka
Riverside, Illinois