From:
Lisa Cash <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Cash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:36:08 -0500

I tested positive for Celiac through blood work and biopsy in late April.
I am in the process of setting up testing for my children.  I have heard
of Enterolab, but wanted to go through the doctor's office in the hopes
that insurance would cover the cost and the results would be recognized by
the pediatrician.  When I first asked the pediatrician about testing, he
said it was unnecessary if there were no symptoms.  Both children have had
what you could call minor symptoms, although, neither has had "severe"
gastro troubles - but then again, neither did I until age 36!  The problem
is that everything I've read suggests having the Celiac panel that
includes the IgA, IgG, EMA IgA, tTG, and Total Serum IgA, however, the
pediatric gastroenterolgist near us suggests just doing the IgA and tTG.
His nurse had said those two plus the HLADQ2 and HLADQ8 genetic testing
should be done, but when my pediatrician called the ped gi doctor himself
about it today, the ped GI said the genetic testing wasn't necessary.

I'm just not sure what to do - I kind of want to just order the mailing
boxes from Prometheus Labs and have the lab here mail them the samples,
but nobody here has even heard of Prometheus.  I just don't want to make
any mistakes or miss anything with the kids, but then I feel a little
silly demanding all this stuff the expert doesn't feel is necessary.  Can
anyone give me some advice and let me know your experiences with having
your children tested?  I'm particularly interested in how much of the
panel you had done and whether or not you pursued the genetic test as
well.  Thanks, very much!!!

LISA in Wilkesboro