From:
Diane Donald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:37:49 -0400

I feel compelled to share this with the list.  I am fairly new to the list
and to CD (diagnosed this January).  Let me begin by saying that you have
all been the best resource for information and education on this disease
that I have found.  At times confusing, but I appreciate the debates and
the open sharing.

On the advice of a couple of posts about Schicks Bakery, I placed an order
on-line (my first to a GF on-line vendor) on April 14th.  I really went to
their site looking for bread, buns, muffins or pizza crusts.....I'm not
much for sweets or wasn't before going gf.  Anyway, someone mentioned that
if enough celiacs ordered they may continue they gf offerings after
Passover, sooooo, I placed an order.  I order three different kinds of
cookies, assorted, diet assorted and macaroons, a cheese cake and a
coffeecake (around $50+ with shipping).

My sweet eating hubby was anxiously awaiting their arrival.   I'm sad to
say, we ended up with about $30 worth of crumbs, a very compacted
out-of-the box cheese cake and some macaroons.  They must not be accustomed
to shipping.  The containers (thin aluminum bottoms and plastic tops) were
turned sideways in the box without any other packing material.  All of the
containers had opened (I'm sure the US Postal service was partly to blame
although the package wasn't marked FRAGILE) and the bottom of the box was
filled with crumbs which I had to throw out.  I salvaged  some of the
cheesecake and some of the coffeecake crumbs.  The only thing that was
totally salvageable were the macaroons.

I am now very suspect about ordering anything that has to be shipped.  I
know the gf  baked goods are crumbly (crummy??), but for the last two weeks
my local health food store has been out of gf bread (they do have wheat
free).  My hubby drove 30 miles to the nearest large city (Greenville, SC)
only to find that the mix I sent him for (Gluten Free Pantry) was sold out.

I want to be able to order from the web, but frankly you have to order a
large amount to make it worth while.  What I'm really looking for is the
best breads and/or mixes for bread not sweets.  I'd like bread, hamburger
or hotdog buns, bagels and pizza crust.  What is the best on-line
source?  Please  H e l p!

Diane

Diane Donald                            email:  [log in to unmask]
Technology Consultant           phone:  (864) 656-1546
Graduate School         fax:            (864) 656-5344
Clemson University
E-108 Martin Hall
Clemson, SC  29634-5713

~~~  He gives strength to the weary & increases
     the power of the weak.   Isaiah 40:29 ~~~