From:
"McGinn, Dianne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McGinn, Dianne
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:26:36 -0400

Thanks to all who responded to my last minute request for local restaurants
with GF options in Watkins Glen, NY.  Recommended several times were
Suzanne’s Fine Regional Cuisine, about 15 miles north of Watkins Glen and the
Stonecat Café, about 7 miles north of Watkins Glen.  We didn’t get to Suzanne
Fine Regional Cuisine since it was further out and our time was limited.  But
the chef knows all about Celiac Disease and cooking GF.  Check out their
website at www.suzannefrc.com.  We tried the Stonecat Café and loved it
(www.stonecatcafe.com)!  We ended up eating there twice.  It looks like a
roadside dive on NY-414.  But don’t judge a book by its cover!  The menu is
organic gourmet with “GF” noted by many options.  The service is friendly, and
the ambiance is fun and casual.  We went to Sunday brunch, where they had
live jazz music.  Between our two visits, my husband and I ate four different
entrees there and thought everything was delicious!  They even have GF
dessert options; I had the flourless chocolate cake.  Another recommendation
was House of Hong, which is right in Watkins Glen on Franklin St., by the lake.
We did stop by to get a take out menu, and I talked to the owner about GF
options – he said anything with white sauce would be ok, and menu options
that come with soy sauce could be modified to be GF.  We just ran out of time
to try all the places we wanted to.  The Watkins Glen area is simply beautiful;
I wish we would have waited a couple of weeks to catch the fall foliage.

Dianne in Maryland