From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:50:06 EST

:                                                                    :
:        Excerpts from the Healthy Villi Celiac Support Group        :
:        ----------------------------------------------------        :
: newsletter: Fall 2000      Elise Gorseth & Melinda Dennis, editors :
:                                                 95 Orchard St., #2 :
:                                              Somerville, MA  02144 :
:....................................................................:

Emergency Planning
------------------
by Dorothy Kellstrand

One of our members, Dorothy Kellstrand, presented the following topic
to the Celiac Support Group of Central Massachusetts at their
Worcester meeting on Saturday, May 21, 2000.  She graciously agreed to
share her talk with the Healthy Villi newsletter and we have excerpted
highlights from it.--Thanks, Dot

Some Celiac/ DH support groups throughout the country are now starting
to offer advice on preparations of emergency kits to have ready at all
times.  Last year there were disastrous tornadoes in Salt Lake City
and the group in that area worked with their support group to have
emergency kits stocked in the homes.  I have borrowed some of their
ideas and have done some research to assist us here in Central
Massachusetts.  Hopefully some of the suggestions will be helpful to
you.

If it becomes necessary for one of us to move to a shelter for any
reason, we must realize that the shelter will be set up to house and
feed many people.  The focus on food will be ease of preparation to
supply many people quickly and easily.

Unfortunately, we who are on gluten-free diets will likely not be able
to eat much of this food, so we will need to bring items with us to
help ourselves.

It is easy to picture the menu that might be offered at a shelter:
probably pasta of some sort, or bologna sandwiches, along with
probably some Little Debbie pastries.

An emergency gluten-free food pack that would sustain you for three
days is what you need to have ready at all times.  It could also be
used in the event that you find that you need to go to the hospital or
on a trip on short notice.

Select a waterproof container that will be easy to carry:  A plastic
storage container, like those made by Rubber Maid, that will fit
easily into a tote bag, a duffel bag, or a backpack.

Store enough non-perishable food for a three-day supply.  Select foods
that do not require refrigeration, preparation, or cooking, and can be
made with little or no water.  If you feel you must heat food,
consider packing a can of Sterno.  Think about foods that are compact
and lightweight.  Include:  canned juices, fruits, and vegetables;
ready to eat canned meat, chicken and fish; and peanut butter,
packaged cereals, crackers, comfort foods (such as Frookies or
Pamela's cookies or a can of Macaroons), gluten-free energy bars, and
canned nuts.

Don't forget to pack a supply of disposable plates and cups.  I find
that disposable bowls, rather than plates, work well for lots of
things.  Do not forget to pack staples, such as salt, pepper, sugar,
plastic utensils, and a can opener for those items that do not have
flip tops.

Select items that can be used up in one serving, as you probably will
not have any place to store opened food containers.  Avoid using
containers that will decompose or break, such as cartons or glass.
Also, place a large note in your kit, to remind you to bring any
current medications you will need during your stay, to take with you
when you leave your home.

Date your kit, so that you can use up foods that are nearing an
expiration date, and replace them with new ones every 6 months or so.

I have only mentioned a few items that will work, and, no doubt, you
can think of many more that will make your stay at a shelter as
comfortable as possible.  The purpose of this presentation is to make
you aware that we need to be prepared for emergencies, and how you
choose to do it is up to you.  I am certain there are many unique ways
to go about preparing an emergency kit.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

From the Postman's Pouch
------------------------

Q: The last package of Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips that I
   purchased stated "may contain trace amounts of nuts, flour gluten,
   and milk protein."  Has the formula changed?

A: We contacted Leslie Cleaver of Consumer Affairs at 800-877-9338 and
   have excerpted the following from her letter of reply:

   The commitment of Ghirardelli Chocolate Company is to comply with
   all US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulations and guidelines.
   While the FDA has not formally defined "allergens", Ghirardelli
   Chocolate Company has chosen to employ precautionary labeling of a
   potential food allergen in retail products to better serve our
   customers.  After a thorough review of the products and productions
   lines at all Ghirardelli facilities, Ghirardelli Chocolate company
   uses precautionary allergen labeling on all products to present the
   most common food allergen risk.

   More information on Gluten Specific allergen:  the following items
   do not contain any gluten.  (These items are not manufactured on
   any of the same equipment as products that contain gluten, however,
   a very slight possibility of trace contamination does exist.):

      Double Chocolate Chips
      Milk Chocolate Chips
      Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
      Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa
      Premium Unsweetened Cocoa
      Hazelnut, Mocha, Double Chocolate & White
      Mocha Hot Chocolates
      Milk and Mint Chocolate Wafer/Drops
      Milk, Mint and Dark Squares"

   Editor's note:  Please check the ingredient listing on each package
   as well.  For more information on other allergens, call
   800-877-9338 and ask to speak with Leslie.

Q: How do I increase my dietary fiber intake?

A: Adequate fiber intake is an important part of a healthy diet as it
   can help prevent constipation, lower cholesterol levels, protect
   against heart disease, cancer, and diverticulitis, and can help
   with weight control.  Gluten-free diets are often low in fiber, so
   you'll need to make a conscious effort to include high fiber foods
   in your diet every day.  Gluten-free fiber sources include:  dried
   beans (such as kidney beans, black beans, chick peas), bean flours,
   fresh fruits with skins and seeds, raw and lightly cooked
   vegetables, brown rice, dried fruit (beware of those dusted with
   flour), nuts and lentils.  Rice bran and flax seeds are highly
   concentrated sources of fiber that you can use as you would wheat
   bran.  Add small amounts to baked goods, mix into hot cereal, and
   sprinkle on cold cereal, vegetable and fruit salads.  When adding
   fiber to your diet, increase your intake slowly to allow your body
   to adjust.  Otherwise you may experience gas, bloating or diarrhea.
   Adequate fluid intake is also important; aim for at least 8 cups of
   water per day.<2>