From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:41:27 -0500

Thanks so much folks. You wouldn't believe how many responses I got, and the majority said yes to Weight Watchers.  Here's a stream of some of the responses. Thanks again. Lin

"Dieting" only works temporarily. I've found that when you eat healthy, you will loose
naturally and not be hungry and can eat that way for a lifetime and be healthier. Take a
look at a gluten-free, healthy, all natural diet (for lack of a better word) of
unprocessed foods that works for all:  www.austinscdfriends.com

I think the key is to WALK, WALK, WALK it off. If that works, I just might
be able to work up the energy to do it!

Yes, Weight Watchers works very well for celiacs -- I'm currently on the
plan, and have been pretty successful (about 28-30 pounds worth, still
going).  The trick is to correctly calculate point values for all the
foods you eat, whether they are GF-specific products (breads, pizza
crust, etc.) or not (meat, poultry, dairy, fruits, veggies).  I don't
eat a whole lot of GF breads, etc. - the nutrition is too low and the
fat grams are too high to eat a lot of it in my daily food plan.  Whole
grains like quinoa and buckwheat are great; higher fiber, very filling
and very nutritious.

I eliminated sugar and drastically cut down on my carb intake, although I
still ate the "carby" vegetables...and lost 2 dress sizes in 6 months, I
also started being more consistent about using the treadmill  :-)

Portion control. Eat on a smaller plate and don't go back for seconds. Don't
eat / snack after dinner. Cutting down intake and exercise always works.

I do weight watchers, and actually work for them weighing in people at
meetings.  I was pretty successful following the program being gf, using
brown rice pasta, etc.  But  the way I broke through my plateau was to
eliminate all bread, rice, pasta, white potatoes and dairy.  Also, no beef
or pork or lamb.  I do eat sweet potatoes, and can have butter, olive oil
and most condiments.  I also stay away from processed foods, with the
exception of tomatoes and canned beans, which I rinse well and drain.  Oh,
no sugar either. I have been eating eggs, turkey bacon and turkey sausage, chicken, turkey,
fish and seafood.  Plenty of veggies and fruit, and some raw almonds.  Easy
to do this kosher, since there's no dairy or pork, and you don't have to eat
shellfish.

Yes, WW will work for celiac, too.  We can look on all labels to figure out the points.  Our breads might actually be a point higher.  That would be close enough.   You don't have to purchase, and we cannot eat, most WW commercial products because they all contain gluten.  WW uses real food, all the food we can choose reading the labels.

WW Flex program works for some folks. There is also a Core bulletin board at
http://www.weightwatchers.com/community/mbd/threads.aspx?forum_id=1&forum_name=Message+Boards&category_name=Subscriber+Tip+Exchanges&board_id=350&board_name=Core+Plan+Tip+Exchange